What can be done before water tight stage?

Conor

We're looking at LONG delays with our windows and doors (all three potential suppliers stating 8-12 week lead -ins... and with Brexit and worsenting COVID pandemic I'm expecting this to get longer!), so even though we'll have the shell finished by the end of next month, there won't be windows or doors until Feb 2021 by the looks of things.

What first fixes could we do after the roof is on but still lots of openings? We have a 4.6X5m opening so I don't think we'll be able to effectively weather tight the house with boards/plastic sheets.

• MVHR ducting?
  • Plastic plumbing?
  • Electrics?

I'm assuming all timber work like stud walls or stairs would be a no? same for floor insulation, UFH,screed etc?

Trying to pull the programme back as much as possible and make most of me being off work for 3 weeks at christmas.

Cheers.

Have you got fascia / soffit / gutters / downpipes in?  Saves a lot of water running down the walls / into the house.

With the big opening, could you cover the top bit just to stop water getting too far in?

If you have a chipboard floor it is worth sweeping the water out after a downpour as it won't like being submerged for weeks on end.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Have you got fascia / soffit / gutters / downpipes in?  Saves a lot of water running down the walls / into the house.

With the big opening, could you cover the top bit just to stop water getting too far in?

If you have a chipboard floor it is worth sweeping the water out after a downpour as it won't like being submerged for weeks on end.

We've not done the roof yet but I'll get those jobs included at that stage.

All floors are concrete slabs apart from a short section of mezzanine. Ive loads and loads of timber from the demolition so I'll see if I can even get the top bit covered.

Do all the ground work. Put in kerbs etc to form the road in. Sewer and rain water runs. Any ducting that you need for electric, water etc. Basically all the dirty work. Sparks and joiners don't like getting dirt on their moccasins.

If window sizes upstairs aren't too big to cover in then cover them with polythene and  Then you can do first fix joinery.

Unless the site is very very secure then I wouldn't put anything in that couldn't be lifted by those who creep about at night.

• Like 1

All the advice above is reasonable.  I wouldn't do any of it - I would be onto your supplier and give them the biggest reaming on their life - talk about contract terms and prolongations costs and expenses and basically throw the book at them!

I had exactly the same happen to me this week - I have a lot of stone (6 tonne or so) going on my house and the quote we accepted and paid back in early September was based on a 6 week lead - I have been trying to call this off for the last week or so and got an email on Tuesday saying we are are going to have to delay you to March / April becausue COVID innit' - I let rip!

I recall that me mentioning that it is 'a shabby excuse for your own ineptitude' caused the most offense - they need to count themselves fortunate that I didn't phone them up if they are that sensitive!

Anyway - they seem to have reverted to their original delivery schedule after I said I was going to jump in the car and take it up with them in person.  This COVID nonsense has become the goto excuse to mess people around - I, for one, am not going to stand for it.

Hi Conner.

I'm a bit in the same boat on my own stuff. Yes board up with 9.0mm OSB say. I had some old PVC windows and doors that I fitted to let some light in and so on.

Try phoning a UPVC installer and ask if you can take some of their old windows / doors (with keys) off their hands, it saves them the cost of the skip. You'll need to get rid of them later though. If timber then you could have a good bonfire at the end and use the galss for cold frames or a greenhouse, on my bucket list.

This way you can make the building secure enough before you start to install stuff that can be nicked. Check with the insurer.

You can get a long way then, you just need to finish the window reveals, cills. If it gets really bad with the COVID you could almost move in at a push on the QT, leaving the roughcast and windows to do.

Edited by Gus Potter
Typos.. not widows! they are different.. it's windows!

If it is any help here is my email rant to the supplier! It was the first one (at the bottom that drew most ire - I thought it never hurt to play the man after clearing the ball!). Get stuck in mate!  :-

Ignoring this is not going to make it go away. You are trying to use Covid as a comfort blanket and it doesnt wash you are not shut down and neither are we.

Tbh you deliver the product in the timescales contracted  or we will just hand this off to the lawyers to sort.  I can appreciate that you may have received a large order to fill and have been told to mug off the small ones to accommodate but you have an agreed a contract with us that we will be enforcing or will be expecting a refund plus damages.

To pull a stunt like this 2 3 weeks out from delivery is a joke.

I will be instructing Charles Russell Solicitors  tomorrow and will be seeking costs and damages unless you want to work out a solution asap.

Subject: RE: Drawings
Importance: High

I was expecting a response on this!

Offer and acceptance (by way of payment!) forms a clear contract between us and the pre-contract correspondence commits you to a 6 8 week lead you are in breach of these terms.  What are you going to do about it?

If you fail to deliver we will be looking to you for significant cost over-runs, prolongation and other costs.

Subject: RE: Drawings

You have got to be kidding!

You told me a 6 week lead in mid-September which is why we paid you the deposit with the expectation of getting this by the end of October not much has changed in the world in the past 4 weeks.

This is unacceptable and a shabby excuse for general ineptitude quite frankly.

There is an old story. Old bull and young bull in the top field and some good looking galloway cows (choose you preferred breed) in the bottom field. The young bull says.. dad let's run down and "introduce" ourselves to some of them".. the old bull says, no son, let's walk down and we can meet them all.

It's best to be tactful when dealing with supplier's, ask firmly what the probem is and try and resolve it, yes be firm but also fair. If you can get to the bottom of the problem this way you build good will and often can jump up from the bottom of the in tray to the top. Also, later, if there is a quality issue you will be remembered as a "good guy" so take a long view, although in the heat of battle often forgotton. No point in wasting too much energy running when it is best just to walk in the long term?

Edited by Gus Potter
not bread.. breed! etc
  • Like 1

In normal circumstances I tend to agree but when these guys are throwing comments like 'it is COVID mate' for no obvious reasons I beg to differ.  To be honest we generally do big schemes and will not put up with this b/s.  We are fortunate to have the nearly the same purchasing power on a little scheme of 3 houses. 

If you are prepared to suck it  up then I have to say well done you if you can adjust around it.

This was a programme killer for us and my house in particular and I wasn't going to stand for it.  The OP here was talking about taking measures to compensate for a  similar situation - I am saying to press your fu*king case before spending more money to compensate for someone else.

Faz

A starting out self builder tends to be a one off customer, cash account almost, in the merchants view. Yes, some are using COVID to cover their lack of service but the majority of merchants / suppliers are trying their best.

I take your points but what if you are a self builder, don't have industry experience, financial clout, don't know when to play hard or ease off? What are you to do?

Yes, you can get out the big stick out but lot's of independant merchants / suppliers are only looking a week or two ahead. They are just trying to survive so maybe no point in setting the lawyer on them, they may not be there later!

I have been talking to some mid range, smaller "suppliers" and one thing that is cropping up is cash flow. One tool you could consider as a self builder is to "pay cash" on your credit card, you get some protection if you do it the correct way. It can ease the cash flow problem for the merchants so this is attractive. They will possibly move you up the queue? Others have posted on the site about the ins and outs of credit card payment and the protection it can offer.

Self builders.. open a friendly dialogue and see if payment oils the works...