Roofing Membrane over winter

Ralph

So it looks like our roof is going to be without the standing seam steel until at least mid December thanks to the COVID. 

At the moment the OSB on the roof is covered in Daltex MultiTX®Plus but I'm slightly concerned about it surviving the bad weather of north east Scotland , especially as the inside is cracking on with aims tapers in today. 

Builder seems to be more confident about the Daltex than I am. 

Any thoughts?

I have just replaced all the Protect VP300 breather membrane after being exposed for 3 years to start cladding. It was starting to flake on the south facing side.  It was still waterproof. Though If the wind gets up and starts creasing the membrane it can fail.

I have some on the garage roof on top of OSB and after a year no change. 

If in doubt due to the relative low cost replace it but I would not expect any significant change after only a few months.

Membrane.jpg

Edited by JamesP
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JamesP said:

have just replaced all the Protect VP300 breather membrane after being exposed for 3 years to start cladding. It was starting to flake on the south facing side.  It was still waterproof. Though If the wind gets up and starts creasing the membrane it can fail.

I have some on the garage roof on top of OSB and after a year no change. 

If in doubt due to the relative low cost replace it but I would not expect any significant change after only a few months.

Thanks James that is reassuring to know. Did you tape the seams? I'm concerned about wind getting a hold. 

Your roof is looking good, can't wait to get to that point.

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

So it looks like our roof is going to be without the standing seam steel until at least mid December thanks to the COVID. 

At the moment the OSB on the roof is covered in Daltex MultiTX®Plus but I'm slightly concerned about it surviving the bad weather of north east Scotland , especially as the inside is cracking on with aims tapers in today. 

Builder seems to be more confident about the Daltex than I am. 

Any thoughts?

I'm doing a school in Edinburgh right now and we are using Spirtech, it's only lasted 4/5 months during the lockdown and is now needing replaced. £200 odd a roll and it doesn't last long with our rain and UV

14 minutes ago, makie said:

I'm doing a school in Edinburgh right now and we are using Spirtech, it's only lasted 4/5 months during the lockdown and is now needing replaced. £200 odd a roll and it doesn't last long with our rain and UV

Thanks for the info, I can see us having to replace when the roof actually goes on. Just hoping it keeps the water out in the meantime.

48 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Thanks for the info, I can see us having to replace when the roof actually goes on. Just hoping it keeps the water out in the meantime.

I taped only the vertical joins and around the windows. The batten holds the membrane down flush. The Protect was about £55 for 50m x 1.5m and I needed 4 rolls to cover all the walls.

The manufacturer states it should be covered within a month.

What type of SS roof are you having as I fitted the Tata Colorcoat Urban? 

1 hour ago, JamesP said:

What type of SS roof are you having as I fitted the Tata Colorcoat Urban? 

We were going with Tata but the price seems to have rocketed and we're struggling to get an installer. Instead we are going for GreenCoat PLX.

Did you have any oilcanning issues? Ours is going on the roof and down the first floor which apparently increases the risk of it.

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

We were going with Tata but the price seems to have rocketed and we're struggling to get an installer. Instead we are going for GreenCoat PLX.

Did you have any oilcanning issues? Ours is going on the roof and down the first floor which apparently increases the risk of it.

The Tata is more of a quick fit system due to the  pre pressed seam. The panels are super smooth on delivery but once you start fitting the  profile over the receiver panel and belt it with a hammer and block of wood it oil cans. Initially I was a bit disappointed but now the panels are so matte that a it gives the roof a bit of definition in different light.

The Greencoat is a more traditional seamed roof, looks a very nice product. It goes on very quick once you have set eaves and verges.

I still have another 72sqm of garage roof todo and a wall. Next year.....

1 hour ago, JamesP said:

The Tata is more of a quick fit system due to the  pre pressed seam. The panels are super smooth on delivery but once you start fitting the  profile over the receiver panel and belt it with a hammer and block of wood it oil cans. Initially I was a bit disappointed but now the panels are so matte that a it gives the roof a bit of definition in different light.

The Greencoat is a more traditional seamed roof, looks a very nice product. It goes on very quick once you have set eaves and verges.

My understanding is that the Greencoat installation company comes on site with a forming machine and cuts and fits everything whereas Tata comes pre-cut. 

A few of the companies around here have apparently stopped using Tata because they were such a pain to deal with. 

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

My understanding is that the Greencoat installation company comes on site with a forming machine and cuts and fits everything whereas Tata comes pre-cut. 

A few of the companies around here have apparently stopped using Tata because they were such a pain to deal with. 

I watched the Greencoat video which shows the forming machine.

A lot of people had issues with Tata a few years back trying to place orders.

Do you mind sharing the cost of the Greencoat fitted per sqm, PM if you prefer.

8 hours ago, JamesP said:

I watched the Greencoat video which shows the forming machine.

A lot of people had issues with Tata a few years back trying to place orders.

Do you mind sharing the cost of the Greencoat fitted per sqm, PM if you prefer.

To be honest I don't know the exact figures we're using a central contractor. I believe it's about £15k for the roof and coming down to the first floor. The house is15m by 6 but one gable end is glass and we have reasonable amounts of glazing on the first floor.

Edited by Ralph

Re Tata Steel & Greencoat PLX -  can attest to my recent experience of Tata Steel and a massive hike in price. However, my quotation went up over double just for the supply (and then not even with the fascia and guttering included) with Tata telling me I needed lots of special fabrication at what I thought were pretty extortionate rates. I didn't receive much in the way of reciprocal communication when I went back to tell them I confirmed all my details with one of their regional technical managers who confirmed I didn't need any special fabrication way back when.. communication was certainly not their strong point for me. I went with the Lindab Greencoat PLX although you can also buy the SSAB Greencoat PLX (the Greencoat coating and the steel are made by SSAB which is basically Swedish Steel) - same product but strangely seem to be available with slightly different RAL colours depending on which brand you go for.

I installed the Greencoat PLX roof myself but first obstained some installation quotations. I received a range of prices between about 33k down to just under 10k for essentially the same job of aout 126sqm - confusing.

I got all my materials for the Lindab Greencoat PLX version from The Metal Roof Company who couldn't have been more helpful. They put me in touch with a couple of other companies so I could hire the tools and machinery and get a proper materials estimate. If you're looking for a local installer, then the Metal Roofing company will usually put you in touch with properly qualified installers that they know and work with. Worth a phone call.

Re Oil canning - having looked around at a lot of installations and also from the Lindab technical info on this roofing system some oil canning is a natural feature of this product. Having handled it myself I'm not surprise. I had pans that were 8m long that are basically formed from something like 0.7mm mild steel with a width of 600mm. The steel is naturally stressed when it goes through the forming machinery which does create a 'texture' along those bends. You can reduce oil canning and pillowing by reducing the width of the pans and also from careful forming. You then also have the natural tendency of the expansion and contraction of the metal through weather. Having a mat colour definitely helps to reduce its visibility and someone, probably one of the roofing people I spoke to along the way, suggested lighter colours also mask the oil canning effect a bit more, who knows.

When I laid my longest pans onto my large curved roof area - approx 76sqm - there was some oil canning visible as the pans self curved. Much of this didn't show when I removed the shiny plastic cover but as we've been through the summer with very hot days, the material has pillowed a little bit and is more visible when the sun hits it at certain angles. Oil canning was was a big worry for me, especially because I've seen to pretty bad examples on roofs, cladding and fascias in our region, but now that I've seen it on my roof I'm okay with it because it adds some texture.

forming folding and cutting the steel.JPG

DJI_0816.JPG

Partially laid large curve.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

large curved roof partial.JPG

flat roof.JPG

east fascia and gutter.JPG

small curved roof finished verg.JPG

Edited by SimonD
editing typos
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I used the green coat plx but brought it pre folded, I got it from a co called metal solutions in Bolton

Looks nice. I had dealings with Metal Solutions and they were helpful, offering to fabricate and pre-form everything for me too. I also bought a load of the metal roofing tools from them. I didn't buy from them as I needed a bit more support due to my roof buildup and that I had no idea what I was doing at the time!

It looks like you have narrower profiles on yours? Mine were 600mm centres, are yours 530mm?

On 13/10/2020 at 16:25, Ralph said:

Any thoughts?

If it's any consolation I had a Protec membrane on my roof from December through to the beginning of May this year. It survived the February Storms including 70mph plus winds. Just make sure it's sufficiently lapped and battened down against uplift and it should be okay if you have a decent roof pitch. (Mine wasn't even battened down but stapled to the OSB and I just had minor leaks at the top of the curved roof where it's almost flat).

• Thanks 1

On 13/10/2020 at 17:46, Ralph said:

or fit 2 layers now ?--

underneath one will not get any UV or wind 

just leave top one  on and roof it?

and yes tape your seams to be sure 

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Thanks 1

On 21/10/2020 at 10:58, Kevin J said:

Traditional 25mm profile standing seam comes in format up to 530mm

Mine were 600mm trays formed from 670mm wide coils in traditional 25mm profile - every little helps when installing on large surface with hand seaming tools ??

On 18/10/2020 at 10:35, SimonD said:

Re Tata Steel & Greencoat PLX -  can attest to my recent experience of Tata Steel and a massive hike in price. However, my quotation went up over double just for the supply (and then not even with the fascia and guttering included) with Tata telling me I needed lots of special fabrication at what I thought were pretty extortionate rates. I didn't receive much in the way of reciprocal communication when I went back to tell them I confirmed all my details with one of their regional technical managers who confirmed I didn't need any special fabrication way back when.. communication was certainly not their strong point for me. I went with the Lindab Greencoat PLX although you can also buy the SSAB Greencoat PLX (the Greencoat coating and the steel are made by SSAB which is basically Swedish Steel) - same product but strangely seem to be available with slightly different RAL colours depending on which brand you go for.

I installed the Greencoat PLX roof myself but first obstained some installation quotations. I received a range of prices between about 33k down to just under 10k for essentially the same job of aout 126sqm - confusing.

I got all my materials for the Lindab Greencoat PLX version from The Metal Roof Company who couldn't have been more helpful. They put me in touch with a couple of other companies so I could hire the tools and machinery and get a proper materials estimate. If you're looking for a local installer, then the Metal Roofing company will usually put you in touch with properly qualified installers that they know and work with. Worth a phone call.

Re Oil canning - having looked around at a lot of installations and also from the Lindab technical info on this roofing system some oil canning is a natural feature of this product. Having handled it myself I'm not surprise. I had pans that were 8m long that are basically formed from something like 0.7mm mild steel with a width of 600mm. The steel is naturally stressed when it goes through the forming machinery which does create a 'texture' along those bends. You can reduce oil canning and pillowing by reducing the width of the pans and also from careful forming. You then also have the natural tendency of the expansion and contraction of the metal through weather. Having a mat colour definitely helps to reduce its visibility and someone, probably one of the roofing people I spoke to along the way, suggested lighter colours also mask the oil canning effect a bit more, who knows.

When I laid my longest pans onto my large curved roof area - approx 76sqm - there was some oil canning visible as the pans self curved. Much of this didn't show when I removed the shiny plastic cover but as we've been through the summer with very hot days, the material has pillowed a little bit and is more visible when the sun hits it at certain angles. Oil canning was was a big worry for me, especially because I've seen to pretty bad examples on roofs, cladding and fascias in our region, but now that I've seen it on my roof I'm okay with it because it adds some texture.

forming folding and cutting the steel.JPG

DJI_0816.JPG

Partially laid large curve.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

large curved roof partial.JPG

flat roof.JPG

east fascia and gutter.JPG

small curved roof finished verg.JPG

Would love to know who installed the curved roof

1 hour ago, Kevin J said:

I don't understand why are you having to wait until December? Standing Seam available in 3 weeks. Installers can be found. contact me if you need a push or installers kevin@metalsolutions.uk.com 

I've dropped you an email directly

• 7 months later...