Temporary Frame for Door Opening

AndrewR

I'm building a block construction tool store on my site prior to the house build. I've laid the trench foundations and first course of blocks (for the shed). 

For the door opening, can someone tell me whether it is advisable to install a temporary wooden frame? I have seen this done as I've been walking past building sites, but I can find no information on the web or in books about doing it.

I assume that this helps to keep the walls plumb, but I can do this with a spirit level. Maybe it is to give some temporary support to the edges while the mortar is setting? So, can someone please advise as to the benefits of putting in a temporary frame?

Thanks,

Andrew

Our fantastic brickie says "yes". Our wooden window manufacturer offered us profiles and our brickie was ecstatic. He says it makes life so much easier as you know that when it comes to fitting the proper door or window you have built the walls to exactly the right template.

30 minutes ago, AndrewR said:

I'm building a block construction tool store on my site prior to the house build. I've laid the trench foundations and first course of blocks (for the shed). 

For the door opening, can someone tell me whether it is advisable to install a temporary wooden frame? I have seen this done as I've been walking past building sites, but I can find no information on the web or in books about doing it.

I assume that this helps to keep the walls plumb, but I can do this with a spirit level. Maybe it is to give some temporary support to the edges while the mortar is setting? So, can someone please advise as to the benefits of putting in a temporary frame?

Thanks,

Andrew

It depends, I have not for any of our door or window openings and nothing has gone wrong, you just need to know how to use a measuring tape really. For our garage we just left a standard opening - when I came to fit the door it was within about 5mm and I just shimmed it in - job done. 

Pros with a frame are that it is set, the brickie needs to follow it and if you are not on hand to confirm sizes or there is a miscommunication it is fine as there is a physical object to follow.

Edited by Carrerahill

They are called profiles. I made some door and window profiles for my brickie using my rudimentary carpentry skills. I think they speed up the brick laying rate and keep things square. Not sure about the support function, in fact getting them out without excessive force is a problem. The profiles are removed before the lintel is laid across the top.

25 minutes ago, patp said:

Our fantastic brickie says "yes". Our wooden window manufacturer offered us profiles and our brickie was ecstatic. He says it makes life so much easier as you know that when it comes to fitting the proper door or window you have built the walls to exactly the right template.

I imagine the window manufacturer offers these to persuade builders to commit to an order before the walls are up. In my case window measuring was as-built once we got to roof height which I guess is the slow and steady approach.           

• Like 1