Slate roof repairs - hall hooks etc

Hi folks, we fully replaced our roof (well a roofing company did). We are in scotland so have Sarking boards and its got Roofshield membrane over that.

I've got about 7 dropped slates just now.

The majority of these slates are from when the roofers removed the irons and inserted a slate joined to the roof with mastic / silicone. Several failed days after the finish but were "fixed" it always seemed a very shoddy method anyway.....

I have no faith in this company coming back to make good and I want to sort them myself as I feel I properly can make a longer better repair without damaging other things!!

Anyway has anyone used the spring like hall clips / hooks - https://www.geniusroofsolutions.com/products/hallhook/

I though they looked great but the reviews are a generally good but some mixed.

Are there any alternatives is there a better adhesive? I don't want to use copper or lead straps as in my opinion they look awful!!

Any input appreciated, thanks!

From your link above.....

• Fixing with a slate hook involves trimming the head of the slate, thereby losing some head lap (a building inspector may not accept this)

my roof was slated using these.... https://www.slate.uk.com/product/stainless-steel-slate-hooks/?attribute_pa_hook-sizes=90mm-grade-316&gclid=CjwKCAjw_Y_8BRBiEiwA5MCBJn5a8uwBwJPODzp7s2U61FDnAAMIC7zeEONcRE3SSkW3eE3WT1H96RoCPOIQAvD_BwE

and no trimming was required. My builder said he always used hooks nowadays as slates could be replaced which cannot be done if nails are used. Yes copper or lead strips look a bodge IMO.

• Like 1

I had a few slates slip after they were broken by scaffolders clambering on them and hall hooks were easy to use and made a good repair which is invisible from the ground. I used a slate ripper to get the broken heads out but sounds like some  of yours weren't nailed in the first place which sounds really dodgy. I also tried using jenny twin fixings which i found to be a fiddle and not easy to use, hallhook better and easier to fix IMO.

13 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Another vote for hook fixing.  On vertical they don't rattle in the wind.

If it's slated properly they don't rattle on a vertical.

1 hour ago, MarkyP said:

sounds like some  of yours weren't nailed in the first place which sounds really dodgy

This happens when the people doing the roof claim to be roofers and don't know how to make the slates swing so you can get a fixing at the irons.

Thanks folks.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that I don't need to reduce the slate head height due to the nature of how the hall hook works and also that almost all the slates I need to fix don't have nails.

I see hooks being used in quite a few properties and the benefits are obvious however I've not seen any I can think of in our more exposed parts of scotland, has anyone else?

It is very shoddy I don't know if its a local thing but a new build up the road from us has already what appear to be 3 full dropped slates with no sign of nails so I assume they were mastic'd in place!!

5 minutes ago, DC5 said:

It is very shoddy I don't know if its a local thing but a new build up the road from us has already what appear to be 3 full dropped slates with no sign of nails so I assume they were mastic'd in place!!

Not the same builder /roofer ?