Downside to our build

Ever since we have put the windows in our house we have had numerous bird deaths. This is because of the large amount of glass we have, in one area we have a 12.5 metre run. We must be up to about 20 deaths so far with 4 last week. The problem is the reflection of the hedges opposite onto the glass and so this misleads the birds, I think? We have a roof terrace window which is also quite bad at fooling the birds, at present the birds are feeding on the large Yew tree berries and then drop down from the tree and can see the fields beyond but cannot see the large pain of glass in the way. we are going to put a large planter in front of this window with tall grasses to try and mitigate the little tweetie deaths but not sure what we can do about do about the large glass run?

On a more numerous note we once had a bird death many year ago at a previous house in similar circumstances and when our 5 year old daughter (she is 27 now) saw it dead on the floor she just said it should have looked were it was going!!

27 minutes ago, joe90 said:

We have similar with our large conservatory, not as many as you tho. With the conservatory they can see out the other end, keeping our terrier out there tends to keep them away a bit.

No dog!!

We have had a couple. I thought I was going to have to get a ladder out to remove one body, but it was gone within two weeks. Kudos to my wife who said this would happen.

Edited by AliG

Some years ago in the flatted development we lived in we had a huge problem with seagulls and what they produce.  We put a plastic owl - £20 from tinternet up high on a roof and it eradicated the problem immediately.  If you have a tree or somewhere you could put one of these worth a try.

• Thanks 1

Our weird issue was birds coming down the flue into the stove.  After I had rescued I think the 4th one from the stove (alive) I had to get up and put chicken wire around the flue outlet to prevent the silly things entering.

• 3 weeks later...

Even before we had our build and lots of glass added we had this issue, but we do have a lot of birds. Most of the time they just stun themselves but we did have a wood pigeon who never recovered, that made a large bang.

Although the windows are now fitted we don't have a front or back door.

This happened a few days ago ? 

I was doing my Dr Dolittle thing being very calm and not freaking out.

Edited by canalsiderenovation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would say "get a cat" b ut my girlfriends cat catches mice and birds, doesn't hurt them and brings them into her house and lets them go., Catching and `putting out into the cold` is almost a weekly activity.

1 hour ago, markc said:

I would say "get a cat" b ut my girlfriends cat catches mice and birds, doesn't hurt them and brings them into her house and lets them go., Catching and `putting out into the cold` is almost a weekly activity.

Cats don't mind living outside all year.

So where is the problem.

We have always had a butterfly net to catch things than come in.

At this present place I have maybe one a year in he conservatory, but open the door or an upper window and they have all found their way out.

The butterfly net costs about £10-20.

eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescopic-Butterfly-Catching-Insects-Stainless/dp/B07QTKHCPX/

You won't catch a golden eagle with it, but for sparrows and small birds it is ideal.

F