Pre fab building into residential

Tiaan davies

Hi i am looking into converting my commercial building into possibly a residential bungalow or something similar, as you can see it is a pre fab building. 

Was just wondering if i can anyway make this into a residential building that approves building regs and if so how can I do this. 

All ideas welcome 

Thank you 

Screenshot_20201011_214914_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Edited by Tiaan davies

Planning and building control are separate things.  you first need planning to turn it into residential.

The building control issues will be things like structure and insulation.  I don't see why all that could not be dealt with internally if there were issues changing the outside.

As others have said planning is the first hurdle and your budget a controlling factor. Frankly it looks commercial so even if converted may not look in keeping with surroundings. Are you looking to live there or sell on?. Get planners to site (if you can) to discuss their preferred option as this will be easier to get passed.

Beds in sheds. Just make it into an illegal hmo. Loads  of money! Only kidding. Anything is possible, but you may be better at looking to replace. It looks like sectional concrete. I think any purchaser would find it hard to get a mortgage. Converted buildings are always coming up at auction like that. Non standard construction. 

Thanks for all your replies 

I am hoping to finnish the outside as a EITCS thermal composite finnish to blend in with other residential finnishes in the area. 

I intend on possibly splitting the building into 2 self contained flats. 

Just want to know if anyone has seen similar and will building control pass the building structure or will I have to modify it in any way 

Cheers 

2 hours ago, Tiaan davies said:

I intend on possibly splitting the building into 2 self contained flats

Some thoughts..

Most likely it will need more insulation both thermal and sound. Part L for thermal and Part E for sound.  The roof overhang looks a bit small for external wall insulation so the roof might require mods.  Is there insulation in the floor already?

As for sound insulation I think walls between separate flats need to meet Part E1 (walls between rooms in the same dwelling need to meet E2).  There is also a section E3 for walls separating dwellings from corridors. This summary is from somewhere that wants to sell sound proofing stuff that you may not need but gives an overview of the regs.. https://www.soundproofingstore.co.uk/how-to-pass-part-e-building-regulations

The wall between the two dwellings will also need to be 60min fire rated (I think) and extend up into any roof space to prevent fire spreading from one to the other up there.  Think that need either one layer of something like Gyproc Fireline or two of ordinary Gyproc wall board each side.

The electrics will need separating into two with two meters etc. Ditto water and ideally sewerage.

It looks like the windows only have top openers? Some may have to be changed so the bottom opens to meet fire escape regs. But perhaps all the windows need changing for other reasons?

Got any oil storage tanks near?

Edited by Temp

Joe90 

I would be looking to rent out if possible 

Temp 

I know there's no insulation in the floor and as for the windows yes I think a few will need to be changed to accommodate fire exits. 

No oil storage tanks near. 

I'm hearing people that I've spoken to locally say that it won't get passed unless it has a cavity so the actual building structure itself is what worrys me the most and how to get it to pass cheers 

5 hours ago, Tiaan davies said:

I'm hearing people that I've spoken to locally say that it won't get passed unless it has a cavity so the actual building structure itself is what worrys me the most and how to get it to pass cheers 

Some Building Control Officers will try and tell you a cavity is necessary but that's not in the Building Regs.  

Of more concern is what mortgage companies think. If they see it as a "non-traditional construction" then buyers will have a harder time getting a mortgage and valuations will be lower.

5 hours ago, Tiaan davies said:

I know there's no insulation in the floor

What sort of foundations and floor has it got? Is it just a timber frame sat on a concrete slab like a shed or does it have proper trench foundations? 

Temp

Where can I find a page that specifies what building regs requires so that I can show a building control officer once he's on site, any ideas please 

Also the building was only bought recently and it is currently tenanted but when I viewed the building before purchasing it seemed a solid floor! 

There is no timber work in the building as far as I know, it is concrete posts and slabs for the building and steel frame for the roof which are also buried into the ground as pictured 

No signs of any water leakage so I think it's pretty water tight and sturdy building just interesting to see what building control think 

Screenshot_20201013_105512_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

1 hour ago, Tiaan davies said:

Where can I find a page that specifies what building regs requires so that I can show a building control officer once he's on site, any ideas please 

Regarding cavities...

The Building Regulations are somewhat vague but they are the ONLY legal requirements.

The so called "Approved Documents" is what most people work to..

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/approved-documents

These outline ways of meeting the Building Regulations. They are not legal requirements so you are free to adopt other ways of complying, however BCO sometimes treat them as if they are mandatory and the only way of complying. 

Approved Document C covers water ingress..

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/431943/BR_PDF_AD_C_2013.pdf

Each Approved Doc has a section in green near the beginning that references the relevant section of the Building Regulations (the law). In this case see page 5.

image.png.dbea83d2f35ba6f42ce74df53da86f5d.png

Diagram 11 on page 33 covers external insulation. If the walls are concrete I would suggest the nearest option is top left (External Insulation of solid walls).  Thats EWI with a cladding board and render or similar waterproof "protective system".  

image.png.1a75cb418ded0dbde410cebabf7352de.png

However there is a section for "framed" external walls. This was probably intended to refer to timber framing but the BCO might interpret it to mean any type of framing (eg concrete posts and concrete panels).

image.png.a904da3e689bf064a8570cec9a3a965f.png

That option is EWI, Membrane, Cavity, Cladding.

You will have to propose whatever external cladding solution you want and see what the BCO says.

As for how thick the insulation deeds to be that's a whole different ball game and I'm out of date with the figures.

2 hours ago, Tiaan davies said:

There is no timber work in the building as far as I know, it is concrete posts and slabs for the building and steel frame for the roof which are also buried into the ground as pictured 

I think that's going to be considered "non-standard construction" by the Mortgage industry. I would seek advice from a valuer/estate agents to see what impact it might have on the final value. Might be worth knocking it down and building a semi or even two detached houses.

https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/non-standard-construction-insurance/buying-a-non-standard-home

Edited by Temp