Dual Hobs in Worktop, design vs structural engineering

TerryE

27 minutes ago, MrsRA said:

OK. So I 'could' like the Wickes 'Sofia' range as it has the rounded-end's,  handle-less look I'm hankering for;  but the colours are soooo boring. The kitchen design I have fallen in love with has some blocks of units fronts in burnt orange/some in neutral tones; however @recoveringacademic is jibbing at the £20k+ price tag for some reason. What's a girl to do?

There are lots of kitchen suppliers who do similar handless doors in various colours. Mine is the high gloss white but have some aubergine (purple to me) for a bit of colour. You could get the main parts from wickes but buy a few feature doors from another supplier. Most kitchen units are all a standard size so wouldn't be hard to match up. 

The kitchen supplier you visited and seen the orange doors will have a brochure where you could check online to see how much the doors cost. Just beware the high gloss end panels to match the doors aren't cheap.

On 18/01/2017 at 20:14, MrsRA said:

The kitchen design I have fallen in love with has some blocks of units fronts in burnt orange/some in neutral tones.

In 5 years time you might be saying "Oh, that's just so 2010s" and cringe.  I think Ian would have apoplexy if you wanted to redo the kitchen in anything less than 10 years at that price :) 

Agreed. Bold colours on anything other than ( interchangeable ) doors isn't a good idea IMO. 

I've talked some people out of crazy tiles, and after choosing again they've thanked me. Some people have told me to FO, and stuck with their first choice. One the other day walked in, looked at the tiles, squinted and said "oooo, they look a lot different when they're up, what do you think?". I smile and say they look lovely. 

That, plus the fact the adhesive has gone off and it's too late to pull them off and bin them :D

On the other hand I want to go with " classical cottage" for our build, Devon cream and the like and any colour enhancement is gained through soft furnishings, sofas, cushions, curtains etc . ( I have yet to put this to her indoors so I reserve the right to retract this statement ?).

On 25/01/2017 at 01:24, TerryE said:

In 5 years time you might be saying "Oh, that's just so 2010s" and cringe.  I think Ian would have apoplexy if you wanted to redo the kitchen in anything less than 10 years at that price :) 

I guess even Ian could deal with 4 replacement cupboard doors in 10 years time; this time in lime green B|

On 25/01/2017 at 07:00, Nickfromwales said:

Agreed. Bold colours on anything other than ( interchangeable ) doors isn't a good idea IMO. 

I've talked some people out of crazy tiles, and after choosing again they've thanked me. Some people have told me to FO, and stuck with their first choice. One the other day walked in, looked at the tiles, squinted and said "oooo, they look a lot different when they're up, what do you think?". I smile and say they look lovely. 

That, plus the fact the adhesive has gone off and it's too late to pull them off and bin them :D

Would love a picture of your idea of crazy tiles. Plus stockists if possible :ph34r:

On 25 January 2017 at 12:13, Declan52 said:

Yeah don't listen to the beige brigade. 

There are over 6 million shades of beige.....what's not to like :D

On 25 January 2017 at 08:01, daiking said:

@MrsRA don't listen to the boring old farts. Colour = good.

:P

22 minutes ago, MrsRA said:

I guess even Ian could deal with 4 replacement cupboard doors in 10 years time; this time in lime green B|

Exactamundo! My point was about not getting end panels and other such non-interchangeable items done in "baboons arse" purple, or the skin of 101 Dalmatians ;).

23 minutes ago, MrsRA said:

Would love a picture of your idea of crazy tiles. Plus stockists if possible :ph34r:

@recoveringacademic may not thank me for that idea being planted :ph34r:. I choose to die of natural causes thanks v much ;)

2 hours ago, MrsRA said:

In a previous post you mentioned that you were hankering for a handle-less look.  With a plain handled door style you could fairly easily swap out the door for a different colour in the same or visually similar style and transfer the handles to maintain the consistency.  The disadvantage of a handle-less look is thaat the handle is sculptured into the door profile and is part of the door itself.  Companies temp to redo their styles every 5 years or so, so there's no guarantee that you will be able to source doors with the same handle profile.  Just a thought to factor into your design choices :)

We are only a couple of hours down the M1 off J15 , so if you and Ian are heading down the M1 south, why not arrange to pop in and look at what we've done. 

We were initially very keen to go with a handleless door, but have conducted a test run in the showroom, trying to open doors beneath a quartz worktop, we quickly abandoned the idea -because of the high likelihood of continually grazing the skin on your fingers on the underside of the worktop.

2 hours ago, Stones said:

We were initially very keen to go with a handleless door, but have conducted a test run in the showroom, trying to open doors beneath a quartz worktop, we quickly abandoned the idea -because of the high likelihood of continually grazing the skin on your fingers on the underside of the worktop.

Never been a problem here. The quartz has a bevel on all the edges. Although technically I think we have a semi-handle less design as The cutout is a feature in the cabinet not the door/drawer front.

Trapping your fingers in the carousel door every time, now that's another story...

Splash back? We've a big bit of 20mm Quartz to match the upstand. Unfortunately it's too big and the extractor is too high because the controls are on the top of the extractor not the bottom. But it looks good which is something I suppose.

2 hours ago, daiking said:

Splash back? We've a big bit of 20mm Quartz to match the upstand. Unfortunately it's too big and the extractor is too high because the controls are on the top of the extractor not the bottom.

Oops sounds like you need a stool or a stick with a rubber hand on the end in your kitchenxD

24 minutes ago, TerryE said:

Oops sounds like you need a stool or a stick with a rubber hand on the end in your kitchenxD

I think that about 5' 6" is the sort of height you need to be so me and the wife are ok. 

One of those things that happens. We could probably get it altered but it's not worth the hassle. 

d39e49s0gb_ss_neff_cookerhood_02_m_p.jpg

Edited by daiking

20 hours ago, JanetE said:

@MrsRA you really wouldn't like our kitchen; it's beige!  Probably the same colour as @Declan52 's geography teacher's suit :$

But I am hankering after something like this for the splashback over the hobs http://www.diysplashbacks.co.uk/chilli-smoke-splashback :)

I am sure I would love it Janet it would be great to see some photos, especially with that splashback it's amazing! I bet @Declan52''s teacher jazzed up his look with snazzy tie and socks :D. I'm keen on a restrained palette teamed with a bold colour block somewhere. Planning this build has suddenly got much more interesting ;)

22 hours ago, TerryE said:

Yup, ours is similar.  Why the hell he designers don't put the touch controls at the bottom of the panel escapes me.

Im guessing they don't want people reaching across the depth of the hob, scalding themselves in the process! From my perspective, it's a very sensible design for the taller person.

Oh, and why have a lot of manufacturers still not realised that LED lighting is commonplace now? Can they please ditch the chuffing 20w streetlight yellow halogen lamps? :(. Stripped and re jigged the last one as the customer was fuming. Swapped the driver out and replaced the halogen lamp holders with 3w led modules from Maplin. 3 days of self levelling and not even a smile, 3 soldered joints and she was doing cartwheels o.OO.o. Ah well, can't win 'em all -_-

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Oh, and why have a lot of manufacturers still not realised that LED lighting is commonplace now? Can they please ditch the chuffing 20w streetlight yellow halogen lamps? :(. Stripped and re jigged the last one as the customer was fuming. Swapped the driver out and replaced the halogen lamp holders with 3w led modules from Maplin. 3 days of self levelling and not even a smile, 3 soldered joints and she was doing cartwheels o.OO.o. Ah well, can't win 'em all -_-

just stick a mains LED lamp in,

you can buy any number of M-F/F-M converters nowadays if the lamp you want to use doesnt come in that particular holder type