Carport question. Sorry !

BrianL

We moved into our bungalow about 4 years ago (rural East Northants) and always had the intention to build a carport.
Last year we created the parking space in front of the gable end and had the garden wall rebuilt, solid and firm.
I had initially thought about a cantilever carport (neater/tidier) but found that the bungalow wall is not large enough to take one so its got to be a supported one.
As the pictures show it is right at the front of the property and next to the boundary wall so I always assumed that we would need planning permission.
However, one company has told me that as we are not going beyond the perceived building line when looking at the white terraced cottages next door then we "probably" don't need it. I realise that they would say that wouldn't they ! They want to sell me a carport.
The area is not an even measurement, it is narrower at the back, 2.7m and 3.5m at the front (where I drive in). Bungalow wall is 4.65m long.
I would like something that is attached to the bungalow wall and has support legs sitting on top of the garden wall. Could be metal and flat roof or timber with a apex roof line to match the bungalow.
Pictures of the area might help you see what I am on about.
So, an opinion please, do you think we will need planning permission or not ?
Small village (35 houses in total), old and new builds. Just two roads. Mixed street scene.
Thanks 
Brian.

DSCF4188-ccfopt-2.jpg

DSCF4828-ccfopt-2.jpg

I think you would need permission - even though it's the "side" of your house, it's clearly facing the public road, so in the eyes of planners that's the front elevation and you can't normally build in front without permission, regardless of the extent of neighbouring properties. I'd send your local planning department and email with photos and ask for their view. O did that when I wanted to build a concrete shed at the back of our property that backed on to a public alley way.

• Like 1

I might be wrong but I think the regulations changed some years ago so that a house only has one "principle elevation". That change benefited houses on corner plots that previously could have two "principle elevations" making side extensions easier.

I don't think this helps you but might others.

Edited by Temp

On 13/10/2020 at 19:46, MAB said:

You can have an informal pre-planning application advice meeting to discuss your plans with most council planning departments, it used to be free but I think many charge for an hour of their time now...

Pre-application advice:-

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200232/planning_applications/59/how_to_apply/4

Thanks all.

I am getting some advice from the Parish Council as to what has been approved in the past and then will take it from there as to pre-planning or not.

Cheers

Brian.