Hi. I'm a retired (10 years) electrical/electronics engineer and IT Lecturer with too much curiosity probably. I have a 1950's house with upgraded insulation and I'm looking to replace my combi boiler and get rid of gas. A Sunamp unit for hot water and an ASHP for heating are favoured, the idea being to use off peak electricity and installed solar PV to the maximum and minimise emissions etc. Green Home grant and RHI under investigation. Only a shallow knowledge of plumbing, heating and ventilation, so I'm on a steep learning curve. In my early 70s I'm having to get others to do things for me as my DIY capabilities decrease. Very frustrating! 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum. I considered Sunamp in my build but am glad I changed my mind as there seem to have been quite a few problems with them. There is an alternative coming to market next year called Tepeo which looks to me like a big storage heater with water pipes.

https://tepeo.com/technology

• Like 2

Hi and welcome, apart from being a bit of a Luddite I like proven technology and the sunamp was a step too far fir me and as said above some have had problems. I have an ASHP (4 kW) which does UFH and DHW. My DHW like some others here is only 47’ which is hot enough fir any usage but you will need a larger DHW tank as you will not be blending is so much. The advantage of a cooler DHW temp is the tank losses are sooo much smaller (main reason fir Sunnamp was very low “tank losses”). Plus the fact there not actual losses fir half the year as long as the tank is within the thermal envelope of your house!. You will need to work out your heating load and DHW usage. If you specify ASHP coil in your tank and also enough immersions you can connect your PV and have backup to the ASHP.

p.s. I am a Bristolian but retired to sunny (damp) Devon ?.

Edited by joe90

Thanks for the welcome folks.

My preference for SunAmp over a storage water heater is primarily its compactness and efficiency. Getting rid of gas is a mix of reducing emissions and, theoretically making better use of our solar PV. Perhaps I just feel more at home with electrical systems because of my background.

But an all electrical system also makes control easier (for me anyway). All but one of our radiators have remote controlled valves with individual room thermostats. We also have an electric car, and the aim is to get on a "smart" tariff. Bear in mind that as both of us are home all day and elderly we don't conform to the statistical average for energy use.

Fred