Truss spacing - 600mm centres

I've had some truss designs from some suppliers and they have all gone with 600mm centres. As I understand it that's the normal way to go these days. Does anyone go for 400mm centres any more?

There is a housing estate near us that has lots of slate roofs and they look bad after 5 - 10 years. Not due to the slate, but looks like the underlying timber has shifted over time. We're going for plain clay tiles, but this has made me think about whether too many savings are being made on trusses.

It's interesting to see the sizes of timbers chosen by the suppliers for the top chords (i.e. the actual roof slope). One supplier has designed based on 47x147, another used 47x197 and the third used 47x222. There was more agreement over the bottom chords with the same first one going for 47x197 and the other two going for 47x222. The one with the slighter timber wasn't the cheapest either.

Sometimes, if you have no sheeting (sarking / ply) on the top of the rafters then if the roof is fairly big you want to fix wind bracing to the underside of the rafters. If you have a roof that can say get some snow drift off a higher roof this inceases the load locally. To make this work you decrease the spacing of the trusses where the higher loads are. This way you keep the rafters the same depth and it makes it easier to fix the wind bracing as the underside of all the rafters are in the same plane.