Silent room stat?

joeirish

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, mods please move if required. We have a room stat in our bedroom. But the relay has a really loud click each time the stat turns on or off. It is wired to the UFH manifold wiring centre. What I wold like to know is if there is a silent or very quiet room stat that I can get to replace this noisy one. Thanks

Hi. 

The stat you have employs a mechanical relay, with moving parts. What you need to search for is a stat that uses either triac's or SSR technology ( solid state relay ) to get rid of the click from the moving parts.

My Siemens room stat is silent in operation, but just connects to my combi. What wiring / controls system does your heating have? Heatmiser / other?

Edited by Nickfromwales

Thanks for the reply. The controller is a German make, OEG. The room stat is Salus. It is connected by wire to the controller and the controller is then connected to the wiring centre and then onto the actuators on the manifold. I've attached a pic showing the controller and manifold. The wires coming out of the wall just above the wiring centre are from the controller, one for each heating zone. 

Sorry, I think I got that wrong. The wires coming out of the wall above the wiring centre (white box with cable tie holding it closed - catch is broken) I think are the wires from the different room stats. Does that make more sense?

oeg.jpg

Edited by joeirish
Error

Salus stuff was the cheap / nasty end of the scale, but recently they seem to have improved their offerings. 
I would ring their Uk tech support and ask them which of their newer offerings has a non mechanical relay option, and is suitable for your application. You’ll need to tell them the current model that you have, so they know which voltage ( or volt free ) rating it is. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dpmiller said:

why not get a cheapie wireless and stick the receiver downstairs at the bottom end of the wires?

That sounds interesting. Not sure what you mean though, do you have any suggested devices?

3 hours ago, dpmiller said:

OK, I have looked at some of these but it's not clear if the thermostat part has a clicking relay? How can I tell?