Wickes, Howdens, or...?

Crofter

After a seven year wait we are now renovating our own house (in my defence, I spent three years of that time building the wee house).

Currently shopping for a new kitchen. It doesn't need to be high end, and I''m avoiding expensive things like pull out units or a million drawers etc.

In the wee house we went for Wickes, units and doors came to about £700, and I was very pleased with the ease of build and the quality. The new kitchen will be slightly bigger and I know that prices will have risen since 2016.

Waiting on a quote from Howdens, who will be the more convenient choice by far. Given our location I'm assuming that any of the non flat-pack options (Wren, DIY) are going to be prohibitively expensive due to delivery. Ikea could be an option; I have no stores within a day's return drive, but a couple of local man-with-a-van options for pickup.

I've had a B&Q kitchen before, from memory it was one of their cheaper ones, it did the job but I'd prefer to go a bit higher quality than that. I know they do different ranges, what are the more expensive ones like?

It’s worth getting a few quotes and then use them against each other. I kept going back and forward between showrooms with lower quotes until I could get no more discount or things added in. The best deal I could get was from wren. 

The time saving of ready built units is a godsend too! 

And remember with the likes of Howdens, their first price is never their best price.

I found Howdens had a very good range of white goods if you need any. FAR better than I could find in the VERY disppointing showrooms in Inverness.

You might just be quick enough to get the tail end of Howdens Autumn "sale" which I think ends at the end of October.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And remember with the likes of Howdens, their first price is never their best price.

I found Howdens had a very good range of white goods if you need any. FAR better than I could find in the VERY disppointing showrooms in Inverness.

You might just be quick enough to get the tail end of Howdens Autumn "sale" which I think ends at the end of October.

Yes we were in our local branch yesterday and have asked for a quote, they reckon if we can sign next week they can get it through before the end of the sale. Definitely going to be the easiest option. I've got a rough idea of what an acceptable price will look like, would prefer a couple more quotes but time may be against us.

I wonder how genuine a Howdens 'sale' is. If they agree a price with us now, will they watch us walk away from the same deal in a month's time?

For those who have tried both, how do Wickes and Howdens compare on price? The Wickes kitchen we got last time was their 2nd most expensive.

When we bought ours the sale definitely seemed genuine.  At the time we got ours it was white goods being promoted so got a free integrated dishwasher and a good price on the 2 ovens.

the £25 ex display gas hob was the best bargain.

8 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Don’t be pressured... they need you more than the other way round, even more so I would think in the current climate.

I wouldn't be so sure about that - speaking to the support guys and delivery drivers at DIY Kitchens they say they've never been so busy. Seems that cancelled holidays and other Covid-related savings means that loads of people are replacing kitchens at the moment. 

51 minutes ago, Crofter said:

I wonder how genuine a Howdens 'sale' is. If they agree a price with us now, will they watch us walk away from the same deal in a month's time?

It is genuine. I’ve just done an L with decent built cabinets and all appliances for £1700 inc VAT. Prior to the sale the same thing was coming in about £2250. 

I quite believe they will all be busy, I can’t believe the way property is selling just now around here, I watch rightmove on a daily basis and the properties are no sooner on than they’re under offer, will be interesting to see once the sold house prices update what they are achieving over their asking price.

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

Yes we were in our local branch yesterday and have asked for a quote, they reckon if we can sign next week they can get it through before the end of the sale. Definitely going to be the easiest option. I've got a rough idea of what an acceptable price will look like, would prefer a couple more quotes but time may be against us.

For those who have tried both, how do Wickes and Howdens compare on price? The Wickes kitchen we got last time was their 2nd most expensive.

Howdens sales are very good if they are close enough to what you need / want. It's an annual October thing and they stick to the dates. 

I have had about 3 in the last few years but none very recently. As kitchens they have been fine, but I tend to follow the "go part way up the range" guideline. I have one with their own brand appliances, and that has been alright for 3 years but I don't expect them to last a decade (though they might do).

I don't think you get much option to upgrade the "package" if they are offering particular combinations (as was my experience). 

If there were items I would spend a bit more money at, it would be a posher tap, a better sink (0.9mm not 0.7mm thick), and a thicker worktop if going laminate (38 not 28mm). And I would check that the cupboards are the 18mm board variety not the 16mm. They are the things that are touched most often and give perceived quality, and make sure it is very solid. But you can touch stuff in the showroom.

Their branches can quote independently so it may be worth talking to 2 if you have 2.

I have got an extra 1-2% off (by asking say for 2030 to be rounded down to 2000), but they don't really do that.

ATB. Here their coffee and biscuits is good, and they do (did?) free bacon butties on Friday morning.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I’ve just submitted my order for DIY Kitchens and the delivery fee to Aberdeen is £225.  IV postcode should be the same assuming Skye is considered mainland due to the bridge.   From previous experience the DIY Kitchens are better quality & choice than the main sheds.  My parents have a Wren kitchen which I’m not impressed with quality wise.  They’ve had it in a few years and the door edges are starting to peel.  My in-laws got their kitchen very recently from Howdens.  It’s seems ok but I definitely think DIY kitchen unit and doors are better.

In terms of Ikea kitchens, their old range was called Rational or Rationel, but their new range is called Metod.  To get me a temp habitation for my self build I have to install a temp cheap kitchen so I got a few Ikea units as a cheap and easy temp option,  the new range isn’t as good as the old one but they do get good reviews.  I found them a bit wobbly TBH but would be better once screwed to wall etc.  But if you didn’t know Ikea carcasses don’t have a services recess at back which may be very relevant to you if an older property.  Also though Ikea carcasses seem cheap their legs are excluded and quite expensive.  

Others here may have a different opinion to me but the fact I was happy to pay the higher delivery cost for a DIY kitchen tells you something.    If you are going for simple cupboard units DIY kitchens units aren't very expensive TBH.  1200 double base unit between circa £100-£140 depending on doors.  

Hope this help a bit with your decision.

• Like 1

Don’t forget Benchmarx - TP group so they offer the same kitchens as Wickes (albeit the ranges carry different names) but the carcasses come pre assembled.

I initially ordered a kitchen from Wickes in ‘the sale’ but later cancelled it and got the same thing, pre assembled for less money from Benchmarx.

So, Howdens got back to me and they've come in at about double what I was hoping for. Maybe I was being unrealistic as my idea of prices was based on what I did four years ago, but still...

Travel is such a palaver right now that I could do without a day trip to Inverness. Might go down the route of getting samples posted out- I see DIY offer that option.

Leave howdens 4 weeks, they will call you, tell them your ready to place order half price and your not playing their silly games of sending competitor quotes. They will drop their price,  at this point I usually still go with someone else just to discourage this business model. 

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Leave howdens 4 weeks, they will call you, tell them your ready to place order half price and your not playing their silly games of sending competitor quotes. They will drop their price,  at this point I usually still go with someone else just to discourage this business model. 

Agreed.  The way they do this stinks of dog's piss.  They are like double glazing sales from the bad old days.  White Gold!

• Like 1

Interesting article from a few years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/16/howdens-kitchen-varying-quotations-customers-confused

I choose Howdens because it was just a bit easier dealing with a local branch. I scheduled the purchase of the kitchen, doors, floor and ironmongery with the October sale. We took an credit application out.

It's a bit unusual in Skye to be able to have access to a national chain at lunchtime or before going into work.

As we were doing a self build this was just a single part if I was just doing a kitchen or floor I would look further a field.

I have fitted many Bowden’s kitchens and find them good. I fitted one wicks kitchen and had quite a few problems getting the right bits, waiting weeks fir some bits. Recently fitted a Bowden’s kitchen fir a friend (I am supposed to be retired!!!) and some of their upgrades are very good. Howdens  every time for me (after a lot of haggling on price ?‍♂️).

Been in touch with Wickes but I have to go through a design consultation appointment, which means a two week wait, quite annoying when I know exactly what I want.

So far DIY Kitchens look like the leaders on price, but I would actually prefer flat-pack. There are loads of online retailers with similar offerings- all using 18mm Egger board, e.g. discount kitchen factory, kitchen warehouse, kitchens4uonline, etc etc... would be interesting to hear first hands accounts if anybody has any.

SWMBO is going to look at B&Q at the weekend, but last time we tried them we couldn't agree on anything.

On 15/10/2020 at 22:50, PeterW said:

B&Q quality is horrendous - no idea how they can warranty to 25 years as the cabinets chip as you are building them.... 

Yes SWMBO has reported back and is not impressed.

She's keen on IKEA, but as far as I can tell they only do short worktops. We need a 3.6m. I'm aware that IKEA worktops are deeper than standard, so I looked in to getting a breakfast bar to cut down, but nobody appears to do that combination of depth and length.

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

She's keen on IKEA, but as far as I can tell they only do short worktops. We need a 3.6m. I'm aware that IKEA worktops are deeper than standard, so I looked in to getting a breakfast bar to cut down, but nobody appears to do that combination of depth and length.

Have you tried Worktop-Express?

(Edit - I used them 3 years ago and they were very good. Also a lot cheaper than Ikea)

Edited by Ian

8 hours ago, Crofter said:

Ikea do their custom worktops up to 4m and up to 2m deep.  Their laminate worktops are very good quality/value.  Like PeterW says £50-60 Per metre but that’s square metre not linear metre.  Also they do cut outs etc.   

• Like 1

Thanks, IKEA looking good so far. SWMBO has decided that solid wood is the right look for the worktop, I have to agree but it kind of blows the budget. Somewhat cheaper solid oak worktops available from other suppliers but when you need the extra depth for an IKEA kitchen that narrows the choice greatly.

On a different note- what's the general consensus on the best types of doors? My feeling is that vinyl wrap is the cheapest and nastiest, painted MDF probably much better, and then there are various other options like solid wood, veneer, melamine, etc. But I also suspect that there will be variation in quality between different suppliers.