fibre glass edge trim

helpsteve

I had a felt flat roof replaced a few years ago by GRP. I have noticed that water is curling up behind the edge trim and round the back of the guttering onto the fascia. Some of this is making its way over the top of the fascia and into the roof structure.

I think the crux of the problem maybe that the gap between the inner lip of the edge trim and the fascia is only circa 10mm. This means the gutter edge in places is mm away from the edge trim. I have removed the gutter in case it is too high and impacting the water flow, but it makes no difference.

How do I solve the problem? Packing out behind the edge trim would increase the gap, but from testing it with a hose, it is not the solution as I gain maybe 7 or 8mm.

Fiddly, but the best idea I have come up with is using a self adhesive flashing like AluFlash and stick it to the inside of the edge trim over the batten under the roof lip and down a portion of the fascia before trailing it in the gutter. 

Apart from having the edge of the roof refitted, is this my best solution or can anyone think of anything else I could do?

Thanks

Steve

Thanks for the response

as you can see, the trim edge is close to the Fascia.

it is about a 10m gutter run, so at one end the trim is below gutter rim and it’s above at the other end. The problem is in the middle where they are at same height and capillary action is pulling water around the trim edge and onto the gutter edge and then fascia

thanks

2AEB6075-7825-4766-90BD-F043FF01BC4C.jpeg

I had a similar issue at a previous house, when the pre ious owner installed the roof they didn’t have any real drip edge. 

I managed to install some epdm drip edging which made sure all run off went into the gutter... it did feel a bit of a bodge job to be fair, but it worked.

I used something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251194139964

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I have a similar issue and cut a length of 100mm wide plastic damp proof course

this is folded gently and pushed up from the gutter to under the flashing, works a treat. 

If you've done it so the DPC sits in the gutter, won't work long term mate. I've tried that idea and the DPC isn't UV resistant, so after a couple of years it breaks up.

1 minute ago, Vijay said:

If you've done it so the DPC sits in the gutter, won't work long term mate. I've tried that idea and the DPC isn't UV resistant, so after a couple of years it breaks up.

Are you sure it’s not uv resistant, it’s been there about 4 years and looks fine every time I clean the gutters out. 

Im talking about dpc not dpm. ??

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Prob living on the fact it’s a lot thicker ;)  

Probably, it still looks fine, it’s very sheltered in that gap so gets very little sunlight, I would be happy if it needed changing every 5 years. 

How about a strip of fibreglass as in one of the edge trims cut down and slid up into the gap. 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Are you sure it’s not uv resistant, it’s been there about 4 years and looks fine every time I clean the gutters out. 

Im talking about dpc not dpm. ??

Yep, deffo DPC that I used. Both places where I used it weren't hidden from the sun though

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

488A1CE0-1580-4BB2-BBEF-6CFAC2C39BF3.thumb.jpeg.df316f20f12a3e22872d2de39e218f32.jpegI have a similar issue and cut a length of 100mm wide plastic damp proof course

this is folded gently and pushed up from the gutter to under the flashing, works a treat. 

I did exactly this too - thought it was something with my roof construction but it's sounding not uncommon! Only been in a couple of years but it's only a 4m length so not a big deal if I do have to redo should it fail from UV exposure. I suspect it'd still keep working for sometime even when it does start to perish.