Temporary water supply

James94

Hi all

Just looking for some advice on a new temporary water supply we’re having connected, looked around the forum and there are a few Bits from 2016 

so not sure if regs have changed much.

We are having a tap as close to the boundary as possible so as little digging as possible.Anglian water are going to dig up the road connect a water meter at the property boundary and we have to do the rest.

Here are a few pics thar I’ve found are we looking for the same thing? Does anyone have any pics to share and maybe some tips on making box and where to get materials.

Looked into this and think this will be best option as we don’t have to organise all the services together we will be able to lay water without any further inspection.

Regards. James

19F802C3-709C-4D3D-A2E1-36A4797FE993.jpeg

8C5E611B-944B-488A-857F-6F8AC671B39A.png

7559D431-5760-442F-AC75-C4CDB45714D3.png

Just an update, copied what TerryE has done but have had to put it in a lockable box with insulation. Still not sure about the stop valve and the double check valve in a chamber, just have to wait to see what he says at inspection.

7E411200-8270-40EA-BC65-70E4ED233ECD.jpeg

D49FD088-9EB3-4E1C-A0CD-4F5709A78AEA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m building two houses side by side but completely different phases, and need a temporary building supply ASAP, not least so that I can move on site into a caravan. 

I’ve got a quote from Anglian Water for both connections to be done, at the same time, as there is a necessity for complete road closure. 
They will connect both into a single point at a double manifold meter arrangement on the boundary of one of the plots. 
I will end up paying an extra chunk if I have the connections done at different times as they will have to close the road again. 

I planned to run one pipe in a trench as far as practical along the side boundary to a standpipe arrangement similar to those shown above (very useful details thanks ?) towards the rear of the plot so that this can then eventually be easily diverted inside when the house there is built.

I have assumed that I will be allowed to T off this pipe to feed a caravan near the frontage, rather than have to feed all the way to the standpipe and then back all the way to the caravan? Now I’m not so sure. ?

Secondly; 

The future supply for the other plot I will run a pipe along the front boundary and then around the edge to a sensible point for future connection to the house that will hopefully be there in a couple of years. 
The second (non-idiot) I spoke to at Anglian Water helpfully told me that I would not need to be billed for this second connection until it is in full use - they will fit a trickle supply. 
However I’m not clear as to how I should terminate this temporarily unused supply. 
Can I just stop-end it? Presumably not underground in case of back feed contamination. But I could leave a stub poking out of the ground and lag it sufficiently? 
I’d rather not have to go to the trouble of a second boxed standpipe that I have no need to use...

Thanks!

Edited by Randomusername
Missing words

13 minutes ago, Randomusername said:

Can I just stop-end it? Presumably not underground in case of back feed contamination

Yes, just a cap-end.

Back feed contamination can only happen if the pipe is made off to an openable fitting like a stopcock. If it cannot be opened, like a cap end cannot, and you have used a WRAS approved cap end, then there should be no issues. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah he came round yesterday to inspect it and said it was all ok, there is no need for the double check valve and stop tap that is shown in the diagram above. They just connect to the end of our pipe, he said something about a small chamber to gain access to the connection valve at a later date when we switch over from temporary supply or we could just bury it our choice.

regards. James

was looking at the date on your picture says 2010 but maybe that was just the design date.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, CC45 said:

how big is this standpipe?  My temp box was a fraction of this size!

The box ended up exactly the same size as the offcuts of marine ply I was given, for obvious reasons... once you start trimming down already odd shaped bits of wood, things get increasingly wonky...

I have to point out that the picture was taken from a very low angle due to glare from the security light. There’s possibly just about enough room to house a pixie in a Beefeater costume?

Edited by Randomusername

There’s been a fair amount of unkind references to the size of my standpipe housing, without having any reference to scale. 

With that in mind I post the following image showing that I barely even fit inside it with the door shut!

Therefore I struggle to see how my bricklayer will ever manage to use it for shelter, particularly when I’ve put in a shelf for the kettle?

?

F86A51D8-0B6B-4612-AF6C-6A35184DB906.jpeg

4FE1FF55-C7E5-43AF-B11D-06DE85279507.jpeg

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Randomusername said:

Therefore I struggle to see how my bricklayer will ever manage to use it for shelter, particularly when I’ve put in a shelf for the kettle?

?

Won't be room for a shelf once the table and four chairs are in there.