Extraction in between ceilings

I need to make a decision quickly as our electrician is doing first fix. The bl00dy kitchen extraction. Don't want any, never used it, building regs say we have to.

The main issue is our hob area is smack bang in between the flat ceiling and pitched extension (you won't see the beam). See where I've drawn that blue line and the start of the red one. That's where the worktop with the hob in it will start so if we had a ceiling one fitted info the flat ceiling part it wouldn't quite be directly over the hob.

716263974_IMG_20201007_1654472.thumb.jpg.fcdb61297579c29572a4794d7b734716.jpg

Option 2 is to just get something like this which is more powerful which I know we have to have if it isn't above the hob and would meet building regs and just put it in the middle of the flat ceiling kitchen area.

https://www.airflow.com/Product-Detail/pg_V/iCON-Range/72591701/iCON-60

Any suggestions?

Why the hatred for extraction? I’d want that to get cooking smells out, plus any excess heat / steam / humidity when doing the Sunday roast. Otherwise that’ll find it’s way into your nice shiny new home.......

Id go in the ceiling and either duct out or punch out through the roof. Shortest route is always best. 

You want an standard cooker hood hanging down from the flat ceiling, and extracting out through the roof probably at the eaves.

Use rigid ducting not that lousy flexible stuff that WILL fill up with condensation and sag.

All your electrician needs to do is install a power feed to that area, Someone, which might be your electircian needs to install the duct before the ceiling goes up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

You want an standard cooker hood hanging down from the flat ceiling, and extracting out through the roof probably at the eaves.

Yes but would it look odd as it wouldn't be directly over the hob as the worktop with the hob is only partly on the flat ceiling, the majority of it is on the pitched bit. Would something like this be ok https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-appliances/Cooker-hoods/Substructure-cooker-hood/Remy-Ceiling-Hood-Substructure-Hood-90-cm-EEK-A-620-m-h-Touch-LED-Glass-Black-Without-replacement-filter.html

I think a rethink of the kitchen layout might be in order.  treat the problem as a whole. You know you need an extractor above the hob, so perhaps the hob is not in the best place?

Another solution might be to centre the extractor slightly to the right of the beam, that will make dropping the duct down to it easier, and then just frame in a little bit of the vaulted ceiling so a bit more of it is flat to accommodate the hood and a little bit less is open all the way to the roof?

• Thanks 1

How about fit it into the face of the flat panel ..?? Extract doesn’t need to be an extractor, and you could put a slot extract above the beam linked to a high power fan mounted in the roof space. That would mean you have a discrete extraction that doesn’t look like an extractor and is done at reasonable cost. 

This is the sort of thing I’m thinking 

https://www.troxuk.co.uk/downloads/385b17d652ec5b84/00266311_0.pdf?type=product_info

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Don't want any, never used it, building regs say we have to.

Our old kitchen had a recirculation type extractor, waste of time and space, I always envied those who had a proper extraction system as I knew the benefits of the system.

Now we have our new kitchen in the new extension I have my extraction hood, brilliant. Comes in handy for more than just cooking. I sometimes use it to drag air through from the open dining room window and ventilate the whole space - close the door a bit and you can feel the blast of fresh air breeze past. I know this also means in the winter that I am loosing warm air but we have a bit of a glut of heat in our home so I can live with that. We cook every meal from scratch so boiling water and cooking food is a daily occurrence, great being able to stand in the kitchen and look out the window on a cold evening with large volumes of steam being dealt with and not a single bead of condensation on the windows and doors.

There really are so many benefits, I dare say if you don't cook then the benefits may be lost on you.

Why not go for a semi-suspended hood and duct out the wall behind.

Edited by Carrerahill

31 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I think a rethink of the kitchen layout might be in order.  treat the problem as a whole. You know you need an extractor above the hob, so perhaps the hob is not in the best place?

Another solution might be to centre the extractor slightly to the right of the beam, that will make dropping the duct down to it easier, and then just frame in a little bit of the vaulted ceiling so a bit more of it is flat to accommodate the hood and a little bit less is open all the way to the roof?

Too late for that! I'd rather not design the kitchen around an extractor.....

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

How about fit it into the face of the flat panel ..?? Extract doesn’t need to be an extractor, and you could put a slot extract above the beam linked to a high power fan mounted in the roof space. That would mean you have a discrete extraction that doesn’t look like an extractor and is done at reasonable cost. 

This is the sort of thing I’m thinking 

https://www.troxuk.co.uk/downloads/385b17d652ec5b84/00266311_0.pdf?type=product_info

Hmm that could work. 

So we have been doing some searching into finding the smallest and most inconspicuous looking extractor. In the end we wondered if something like this would be suitable to go into the ceiling. It wouldn't be exactly over the hob, probably only over a quarter of it because the hob is part way between the pitched ceiling and flat ceiling but this extractor is very slim and only 300*350 and just in case we do decide we need to cook greasy food we have an extractor (although our hob is bigger I see no reason to go for the larger measurements). I'm hoping this would be fairly inconspicuous.

• Like 1

Our one other option is to just go for a fan on a different wall like this which meets building regs. It would certainly save us a bit of money https://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/airflow-icon-60-centrifugal-extractor-fan-suitable-for-bathrooms-utility-rooms

We have had this before and it's quite good as it open and closes automatically with the PIR/humidity module. I'm sure I saw another user on here had one in their kitchen but I can't remember who it was.

Edited by canalsiderenovation

3 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

How about a down draft extractor in the worktop? Or built into the hob?

We have an ex display kitchen purchased and it has a hob built in and to be honest I wasn't a fan of these and don't want to purchase an alternative hob or start cutting out worktops/units to make it work. We wanted to make it less noticeable.

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

We looked at this one but it's only in black not white and a bit bigger than what we would like.

I'm just tempted to go with the fan than pay a few hundreds of pounds more for something we will never use.

Just now, PeterW said:

Don’t forget fans are big holes in the wall ..! Back draft and other types of iris seals are really important in this situation

I know this can be an issue. One plus of this fan we found in our last house was that it opens and closes up after use. It was a replacement for a previous fan and we really noticed a difference.

• Like 1