Roof flashing

I'm trying to work out where the flashing and cavity trays will sit on a roof abutment. I don't have the rafter to put in place and measure off,  but I do have a drawing of the bay window roof exterior surface. I need to work all this out so I can get the positions of the stepped cavity trays correct as they get built in to the wall now. Their corners align with the corners of flashing, so it's lead me to try to understand this (excuse the pun).

I can see NHBC recommend at least 85mm (some of their docs have 65mm min) between the roof surface and water line which defines the positions of one set of corners of the flashing. What I can't work out is what sets the position of the other set of corners. Is it just set by the height of courses and drawing a line perpendicular to the roof slope? I've seen something that suggests they sit on a line 150mm from the roof slope.

image.png.361a78c9b58a0ee13a111287e3874c78.png

I have attempted to draw this below with the lead shown in grey and the reference lines at 85mm from roof slope and 150mm from roof slope. The red rectangles show coursing and would be the positions of stepped cavity trays. Wider lead flashing or moving it off the roof slope slightly (so up the soakers a bit) would create a tighter angle on the 'saw teeth'. I imagine these must never result in the cut line sloping the other way. Is there a minimum amount of overlap on each step?

Finally, can you stop when the lead goes past being vertically above the end of roof slope or is there a minimum amount it has to go past the end of roof slope. In the example below, could I have stopped one brick course higher at the bottom?

Lots to understand so thank you if you made it this far.

image.thumb.png.092ebdd309bc1e204ab0b5ab8be569bc.png

image.png.3899afcaa68f89c46469f958b265ad35.png

You may be overthinking this.

Make sure the cavity trays are higher than the top of the roof and have a decent weep hole at the end.  It is sometimes tricky as you may have the brickwork up a long time before the sloping roof.  On existing buildings BC sometimes just allow a coat of silane / siloxane on the brickwork above.

Lots of connies get put on existing houses and stepped cavity trays are out of the question.  I don't hear too many horror stories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyshouse said:

I don’t like stepped flashings any more , angle grinder cut angled slightly up 85 to 100mm up. Then secret gutter under the tiles with or without cover flashing 

Thanks, do you have a drawing or photo of this as it's difficult for me to get my head around.

Do you still do the same thing as in my first post with stepped cavity trays though?

For me the lead goes in too far on this detail, 20mm plenty, also should go in slightly uphill to direct any water outward 

imagine a cut running up at the same angle as the roof but 80mm above the tiles  - I call it a cover flashing 

image.jpeg

Edited by tonyshouse
Missed phrase
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/10/2020 at 12:43, tonyshouse said:

For me the lead goes in too far on this detail, 20mm plenty, also should go in slightly uphill to direct any water outward 

imagine a cut running up at the same angle as the roof but 80mm above the tiles  - I call it a cover flashing 

image.jpeg

So you end up with a constant with band of lead on the wall at the same slope angle as the roof. What's done with the cavity trays then?

• 2 weeks later...

Not on the North side of a building, yes,  over the limit for code 4 but no problem yet. I normally do 1.2m long = 1/5 th of roll cheated on this porch 1/2 3m roll 

top lap will be cut to the left a bit and plumb 

Edited by tonyshouse
Sp
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tonyshouse said:

Not on the North side of a building, yes,  over the limit for code 4 but no problem yet. I normally do 1.2m long = 1/5 th of roll cheated on this porch 1/2 3m roll 

top lap will be cut to the left a bit and plumb 

1.5m is fine with code 4. It's the max recommended by the LSA.

• 10 months later...
On 21/10/2020 at 15:58, tonyshouse said:

I've come back here after however many months and it's time for the roofers to tuck in their lead. Still think yours looks very nice. Looks like the vertical height of the flashing is about 130mm so at 45 degrees was it a 100mm strip of lead tucked in around 10mm? [90mm/COS(45) = 127mm] Or have you tucked it in much further ~50mm?

Edited by MortarThePoint