Build cost: garage

mjward

I recently tried to price up a double garage if it was built by a main contractor.

I was getting to a number in the low 20s with a flat roof and rendered. This assumed a good quality electric double door.

The big expense seemed to be the foundations/slab.

I did look at single versus double skin and concluded that an extra skin adds maybe £1000 in cost compared to a single skin and was probably worth it for the lack of hassle in the long run. You lose space due to piers in a single skin anyway.

• Like 1

I'm a southern softie who has only worked in an office...plan is to retire t'up north and take on some carpentry in the workshop as a hobby and maybe even a source of income. So my guess is I'll need to go double skin, insulation and stove to ensure I last more than 5 mins out there!??‍♂️?

• 5 months later...

This is an interesting post, we have been quoted 12.5k from our builder renovating house to add a pitch roof to an existing detached double garage, it will need new lintels over the two windows and two single garage doors, additional bricks to gables,new guttering, anthracite down pipes and fascias, gables built in brick, upgrade of existing sockets, we’re going to try and reuse electric garage doors, new pane in window, composite slate tiles and trusses. Removing roof and central wall plus patching the floor. Oh and it’s only an estimate... @AliG sounds a bit steep given there’s nothing for any internal finishes it’s going to be built up from existing piers and no insulation! Surely the materials alone wont even come to 2k...

When I priced it up the foundations and slab were looking like £5000.

Then you have almost 40sq metres of single ply roof - That is £2-3k fitted. Add in joists and guttering and you are looking at about £5k for the roof. Mine was for a parapet roof which is more expensive.

25 square metres of rendering at £40 a square metre is £1k

25m of double skin block wall at £50 a square metre = £1.25k

I think I assumed a little more for the walls due to the taller parapet roof.

Then you have a side door, windows, main door, electrics, tap etc. Steel beam over door. Probably around another £5k. I assumed an expensive electric sectional door, so savings can be made here.

Then if you have a main contractor do it he will mark all these things up 12.5%.

So I was ending up at about £22k I think. I spent a bit more time doing it accurately originally. I was shocked by the price of the foundations and roof.

You can no doubt do it cheaper. But I don't think you'd get much change out of £20k. A lot of people like to quote £x for materials and £x per day for labor but no one round here seems to work that way. Everything is priced per square metre which tends to be more expensive.

Thanks @AliG so this cost is for a totally new garage. 12.5k Estimate from builder was just to add a pitch to existing basic flat roof garage, so build up gables off existing single skin & piers, standard trusses, new guttering/fascias, add a few metres of connecting roof water drains, redo the lintels over the garage doors/windows & one replacement window pane not even a window, patch floor, rewire very existing basic electrics. Obviously some demolition of roof and central wall & resulting waste. Nothing else included so no base or doors or internal finishing and just an estimate from the main contractor... I did do a materials estimate and around 4.5k in materials as maybe the tiles were more costly than expected. Labour is hard to get at a reasonable price round here so I’m not sure the cost will come in much better unless we do a lot ourselves but does make me think it will still be a crap structure that maybe we should redo it properly at some point and the double garage was originally a single garage extended that they couldn’t be bothered to even set at the same floor height..