Build cost: garage

mjward

I've seen quite a wide range for a general house self build of £1-3k/m depending on how much you do yourself and quality of finish.

Does anyone have an idea of how those numbers look for a garage? 

Still playing around with various designs but I like the idea of a very large garage cum workshop. For me that would entail a simple 4 wall design plus garage doors/roof so I'm assuming it's much less than the above but no idea how much. 

We are finishing off a 6m x 6m garage at the moment, did the slab ourselves, brickie did the block work, hubby put up the roof trusses with help from a couple of friends, sheeted it’s ourselves and he and a friend have done the roof tiles and installed garage door, it has a window and a single entry door to one side.rendering will be done end of this week and gutters, all in has cost us around £7k , decided to diy when the builders quoted us £25k!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so I’m nearing end of my self build.  My builder quoted £30k for a double garage with proper slated pitched roof, but that would be built to a high turnkey standard eg plasterboarded inside etc.  As a starting point for you.

I’m looking at doing a large double sized workshop and at the moment looking towards perhaps a steel portal frame which I’ll then frame out and roof.  For the frame circa £3k supply only so I think I can get something suitable for under 10k

• Thanks 1

It was part of the bargaining when purchasing the plot 

The seller had had silly quotes 

So I offered less and said I would build the two garages first 

I used double skin and insulated the floor  as they intend using there’s as an office 

• Thanks 1

I'm 'doing' this at the moment.

Well I say doing, still not out the ground yet as waiting patiently for the groundworker to get on site.

I have a single garage and I am extending that out by 5 metres in width and 5.5 metres in depth so the footprint will be approx 27.5sqm - single skin block.

I have created quite a detailed spreadsheet with anticipated costs, based on materials I have priced up and estimated labour.

My 3 wall garage (as I am joining to an existing garage) is coming in at around £15k to £17k which is a fair bit more than others have suggested which is concerning yet perhaps reassuring that I have perhaps over estimated, but I have done a fair bit of research so I am not sure I will come in much under my estimate.

How much are you hoping to do yourself, if any?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mjward said:

I've seen quite a wide range for a general house self build of £1-3k/m depending on how much you do yourself and quality of finish.

Does anyone have an idea of how those numbers look for a garage? 

Still playing around with various designs but I like the idea of a very large garage cum workshop. For me that would entail a simple 4 wall design plus garage doors/roof so I'm assuming it's much less than the above but no idea how much. 

I built a 6.2 x 5m garage in 2018 - only paid for a brickie.

Dug out the area for slab with JCB which was £150 for the weekend (also other garden work)

40 tons of hardcore - some virgin some 6F2 (recycled) which was about £200

Some scrap timber and new timber for the forms £50.00

Drains (bottle gully in middle of slab etc.) £50.00

Rebar mesh £150

DPM £30

Concrete C40 250-200mm £840.00

Block, sand and cement delivery £450.

Brickie to build £250

Roof timber £400

Membrane £50

Russel Pennine tiles, 420 of £300

Electric roller shutter 3 x 2.2m with remote control etc. £700

Facias, soffit, gutter etc. £120

Rear end cladding for roof gable £100

Front end timber cladding for roof gable £120

Side door - free from a Merc dealership renovation.

Locks, hinges etc to suit above £50.00

Dry dashing materials inc. beads/bellcast about £350

Electrics - I had a new 8 way Wylex metal consumer unit from a skip, so cable, metalclad sockets and 3 LED non-corrosive battens (which I also acquired) £100.

So I think it was about £4460.

So £143.87 a meter.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

My 3 wall garage (as I am joining to an existing garage) is coming in at around £15k to £17k which is a fair bit more than others have suggested which is concerning yet perhaps reassuring that I have perhaps over estimated, but I have done a fair bit of research so I am not sure I will come in much under my estimate.

I've just spilt my coffee! HOW MUCH?

3 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I've just spilt my coffee! HOW MUCH?

Let's go the other way and see how much I may have overestimated. For the OP's roof for example assuming pitched with concrete tiles, from the roof plate up inc exterior dressing (fascias& guttering), what would your ball park figure be?

For me, a shade over £2000 in the materials.

A  half decent double garage door is north of £2000 also. 

My figures are start to finish and include the planning and regs costs, which if planned at the same time as a house, wouldn't be applicable but unsure on OP's circumstances.

1 minute ago, oldkettle said:

What kind of roof have you built? Did you need any calculations for it or is there a span table that covers it? I thought 5m was too wide for simple joists. 

Fully hand cut roof,  basically a 6 x 6x2 purlin roof on 4 no 8x2 main timber trusses - no joists, it is a cathedral style roof. The span was 4.8 as the trusses sit on concrete block piers which are also straighteners for the main walls. So although nominal width is 5m it is less at the columns and used 4.8m timbers with 150mm bearing 

I did my own calcs with assistance from the SE who used to work with us I can't remember it all off the top of my head but static loadings were about 1.2tons per side spread over 4 trusses etc. etc. plus the gable end support itself which took a portion of the load it worked out pretty good + snow and wind it was close but came in on target.

Been up for 2 years, interestingly I was looking at the roof the other day checking for deflection in the main trusses and got the tape out, all good, I think in 2 years the mid point of the truss has maybe dropped a few mm but they were crown up and therefore now sit deadly straight. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

Just saw your previous reply, missed that when responding to above.

£250 bricky labour. Does he work for £75 a day!?

Took him 3 short days so £83.33!

This was in conjunction with our extension build and I laboured for him. He was happy, I was happy. He works FT for some house builders during the week, he did it over 2 weekends, he isn't fussed - cash in hand. 

Edited by Carrerahill

1 minute ago, Carrerahill said:

Took him 3 days so £83.33!

This was in conjunction with our extension build and I laboured for him. He was happy, I was happy. 

Did you just have single skin block walls? I'm not concerned about having insulation so was wondering if single skin is ok as it makes the internals a bit bigger and obviously reduces costs.

7 minutes ago, Wagas said:

Did you just have single skin block walls? I'm not concerned about having insulation so was wondering if single skin is ok as it makes the internals a bit bigger and obviously reduces costs.

Yes - single skin with 2 piers down the long walls and at the main door - a half height pier on one side of the pedestrian door for extra strength. I have about 20mm of dry dashing on the exterior built up with base coat and top coast etc. so the thing is dry as a bone. Sure it can be cold in the winter but I keep a car and garden tools in it! 

I'll get some photos... hang on a minute...

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

Thanks all, above incredibly useful and triggers a follow up question:

Has anyone put heating in their garage?

My current view is that I will insulate it as well as the main house but that's it, assuming with air loss around garage door it would be futile/expensive to put rads in there but on the flip side would mean it would make an uncomfortable workshop in the depths of winter. But was thinking the smart fix there is just plug in electric rads when needed.

12 hours ago, mjward said:

Thanks all, above incredibly useful and triggers a follow up question:

Has anyone put heating in their garage?

My current view is that I will insulate it as well as the main house but that's it, assuming with air loss around garage door it would be futile/expensive to put rads in there but on the flip side would mean it would make an uncomfortable workshop in the depths of winter. But was thinking the smart fix there is just plug in electric rads when needed.

I have not installed it yet but the ground work has been done to put in a stove. It will be a solid fuel sort of commercial looking thing. I know it is an uninsulated space but I have a forest worth of firewood and I would only light it for example on weekends, in the winter when I intend on spending a lot of time out there. I have also run conduit back to the house with the intention of feeding hot water from the burner back to the house too. I am actually doing the final ducting and formwork for concrete for this this weekend as I may actually keep the stove in a separate little boiler-shed for safety reasons.

I have the option to insulate my garage if I wanted to, I'd put PIR in between the rafters, and batten out the walls and insulate and ply line but I don't think I would if I am honest as I've never felt the need. I do a lot of my projects outside, building things and what not so being in a garage is like a luxury in itself!

Edited by Carrerahill

I considered a stove in my (completely uninsulated) workshop but I don’t spend so much time out  there so bought thermal undies instead and put a fan heater above the bench in case a stand still there fir any length of time during cold weather.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, joe90 said:

I considered a stove in my (completely uninsulated) workshop but I don’t spend so much time out  there so bought thermal undies instead and put a fan heater above the bench in case a stand still there fir any length of time during cold weather.

Sounds more like what I will do, rather than I have planned! I find normal clothes (always a collar and tie optional) and a Dickies Redhawk pair of overalls (always a collar and tie optional) are pretty much all I need for warmth unless I am standing at the bench doing something intricate which doesn't take much movement, and therefore heat generation. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mjward said:

I think the stove is a phenomenal idea. Would only occur to me to have one in the main house but it would make an awful lot of sense to have in the garage as a genuine heat on demand service. 

Yup - and if you are doing carpentry a great way to get rid of offcuts! 

• Thanks 1

Also really does depend what you are used to.

I have gone from working on cars outside with no garage, to having a house with a garage that I could work in, to having said garage full of stuff that prevents me working inside so have to lie down in the cold outside again - so being out of the elements with some protection and appropriate clothing does really make a difference. (Probably helps living in southern England where it doesn't get that cold.)

Obviously being nicely insulated with heating would be a luxury, but I am tight so in these instances I only have to think of the alternative costs to suddenly thaw out ?

• Like 1