Stick frame

Russell griffiths

So in 2006 I built our old house, timberframe and all stick built on site with the help of 1 other chippy, 

wanted to know who has had a frame stick built on site

so questions would be

who designed it and signed off on it

why did you do it this way

would you do it this way again. 

Need to do some massive amount of number crunching to work out if there is actually a financial benefit. 

Cheers russ. 

We stick built in 2005. No real reason for doing so, just thought we would give it a try. We did price out using a TF, but there was very little difference.  I had plans drawn up to my own design, an SE did the technical design and drawings ( panel design, bracing etc ) and signed the build off. 

Good savings to be made if you are building the frame yourself rather than employing skilled labour. I'm a convert to ICF, so probably wouldn't go back to TF, but I do think it's definitely worth considering.

• Like 1

I will answer your question, partly by referring to your REAL question, how to build your next house.

I know someone who built his own house single handed stick built on site. He worked offshore and spent his 3 weeks between shifts building his house. I know the house well because I wired it.  It took him nearly 3 years to get it wind and watertight, and I believe there were issues with his structural warranty company due to the length of time the frame was exposed.

My present house was TF but built as a kit and assembled on site, normal (for the time) 150mm frame and block outer skin.

This time around I didn't want to go that route. 150mm is not enough insulation, and the block wall is just an expensive rain shield adding little to the insulation. So this time I have a 190mm frame directly clad in 100mm wood fibre board and render onto that. So all 300mm of the wall build up is insulation of some form. this was detailed by a structural engineer. I then had the frame built (off site) and erected by some local builders and I am doing the rest. There is no reason given the time and inclination that I could not have stick built it on site myself and with the SE's drawings there would have been no "sign off" issues.

If I could give two bits of advice (just my personal feeling) is forget a brick of block outer skin to a TF house. And make the roof a warm roof supported on a ridge beam so the whole internal space including any loft is within the insulated and air tight structure of the house. So much easier to keep everything sealed and less chance for things to go wrong.

• Like 1

My stick frame was purchased as part of a design, supply and erect package with an air tightness guarantee. I'm not able to erect myself so I needed to pay someone to do it and I feel the 20 years of experience with the system the company I used has benefited the built frame and I hope the air tightness (not measured yet).

If however I could have erected the frame myself and I was "just" after very good air tightness rather than "best in class" as well as a cold-bridge free design, then I would look to Cullen Timber Design Ltd. to design and sign-off the frame. If needed they can send cutting lists direct to joist/beam supplier and provide a very detailed drawing pack.

What I mean by the air tightness comment is that the frame design inherently has good, robust air tightness detailing that I feel would deliver a very good result, but the experience of the install team lifts it to a level probably not achievable by someone new to the product.

CTD did the frame design part for my package and it was a very good experience working with them develop the frame for my rather complicated site. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...