Trench/DPC/Driveway

NSB

Hi.

We have just moved in so are now rectifying all the random things that were done to the house by the previous owner. One of these was to cover the construction trench around the extension of the house with wood topped with astro turf. Presumeably it was done to make it look neater for when the house was up for sale. The wood is all rotten and it touches the house above the damp course. I am half way through ripping it out. What are my options with this trench as it is pretty unsightly and there is the possibility of falling in it! One of my thoughts was to put loose bricks in the botton, then a layer of gravel then a layer of something decorative (i.e. pebbles). This would mean the stones would be touching the wall above the damp proof course. Would this be a problem?

thanks.

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Put some sand over that water pipe to protect it from a sharp stone bursting it. Then backfill the trench with whatever you have a hand. If you have some loose bricks then put them in. Will save on gravel. Then fill the rest with gravel and the top in what ever decorative stone you like.

7 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Put some sand over that water pipe to protect it from a sharp stone bursting it. Then backfill the trench with whatever you have a hand. If you have some loose bricks then put them in. Will save on gravel. Then fill the rest with gravel and the top in what ever decorative stone you like.

+1.

Make sure the sand and bricks or rubble sit below the EPC, then have pebbles or whatever above that. But would also think about a layer of permeable membrane between the top layer of pebbles and whatever’s underneath,  so the pebbles don’t work their way down.

if you don’t have old bricks or rubble kicking about you’ll normally find folks on Facebook marketplace happily giving that kind of thing away for free if you didn’t know that already.

On 07/10/2020 at 13:01, NSB said:

Hi.

We have just moved in so are now rectifying all the random things that were done to the house by the previous owner. One of these was to cover the construction trench around the extension of the house with wood topped with astro turf. Presumeably it was done to make it look neater for when the house was up for sale. The wood is all rotten and it touches the house above the damp course. I am half way through ripping it out. What are my options with this trench as it is pretty unsightly and there is the possibility of falling in it! One of my thoughts was to put loose bricks in the botton, then a layer of gravel then a layer of something decorative (i.e. pebbles). This would mean the stones would be touching the wall above the damp proof course. Would this be a problem?

thanks.

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

That really is shocking - OSB they have used too, under that awful artificial grass, which will just sit wet and damp all the time. Some people should be banned from this sort of work. It's like buying a house someone has done loads of shocking DIY in and you realise you need to start again on everything!

The DPC should also have been 150mm min above finished ground level.

It is a cavity wall so a bit of moisture against the wall isn't going to cause major issues but I would limit moisture/water by using gravel.

That water pipe, is it the mains? Or a feed to a garage or something? It isn't deep enough.

Right, what to do, I'd cut it back straight, get some edging into finish the concrete/slabs, then fill from the edging to the house with stone, get in cheap stone, 10 or 20mm gravel or granite chips or something and fill the trench, this means that although stone will be touching the wall it will be free draining and will really only be wet when it's raining or for a period after.

Difficult to judge qty's here but for £30-40 quid I'd just get a ton bag of whatever in and barrow it in.

Edited by Carrerahill

That’s atrocious ..!! Water pipe should be buried to 750mm, and the rest should have been built up and back filled correctly, potentially with a retaining wall to protect the external wall of the extension.