Gluedown LVT - Fitting

canalsiderenovation

I'm starting to look ahead to get someone to fit our LVT flooring. We have purchased it online and in advance are trying to get some quotes for fitting. I've contacted a few places, asked for recommendations locally but they will only supply and fit, not supply only. We would rather a professional fit it but we can't seem to find anyone. If anyone has some recommendations in the Shropshire or surrounding areas would they let me know please. Thanks ?

11 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

£30m2 just for fitting??? ?

Yes that sounds about right.  Where I am it’s approx £25-£28 plus they’ll need adhesive and probably ply and/or a screed depending on your floor surface.  If screed they’ll probably need to do it 24 hrs before etc.  I’m not a floor fitter BTW but have just been sorting out a contractor for glue down LVT for my self build.    Glue down LVT ain’t cheap unless you fit it yourself.

49 minutes ago, Bozza said:

Yes that sounds about right.  Where I am it’s approx £25-£28 plus they’ll need adhesive and probably ply and/or a screed depending on your floor surface.  If screed they’ll probably need to do it 24 hrs before etc.  I’m not a floor fitter BTW but have just been sorting out a contractor for glue down LVT for my self build.    Glue down LVT ain’t cheap unless you fit it yourself.

I'll see how we get on tomorrow. We have one flooring guy coming then.

Ì love fitting LVT. I don't do it for a living, but i have done loads. I can easily do 50sq mt in 2 days, including through doors etc, providing the floor is ready to accept. At £30 a sq mt that's £1500 for Two days work. Nice for the fitter. Not so nice for Canalside. I must be old, because i have a pal plumber. He said he likes to charge enough on a job to earn a minimum of £500 a day. That's £10,000 a month with no weekend working ! Perhaps that's why i am a tight git, and end up doing everything myself. A  couple of years ago, i had a brickie do the walls on a smallish extension for me. He did it for £2000 cash. I supplied all the materials, including the mixer, add. Even tea, and bacon sarnies. He bought another brickie with him, and a lad to feed bricks, and blocks and the mixer. They did it in 3 days, so £200 and £150 a day for brickie and lad =£1050, leaving the main man £316 cash per day.

• Like 1

I’m also tight but do try to look at it from the perspective of a self employed tradesperson.  Sometime I also think jeez that’s like £40 per hour or so to do something for me.  Rip off.  But that’s based upon the hours on site getting paid.  They won’t get paid for driving around, picking up supplies, quoting for jobs, buying their tool, having jobs cancelled.  It’s not like they’re getting paid that rate for every hour they’re out doing their job.  That said my nephews a plumber and he’s just bought a brand new BMW and I drive an old Skoda.  But every so often he has to put his hands in *£ite.  

I used to do a (Non trades) job that paid £25 for 15 mins work.  But to get that work I had to drive to peoples homes.  And pay fuel.  And postage.  And sometimes folks wouldn’t be in so I got nowt.  So it certainly was nowhere near £100 per hour probably closer to £15-20 in real terms.  Before tax.

One guy been out today who has been highly recommended. We have around 175m2 and he is quoting £2700 pls VAT to fit which included stair trims (we have two stairs), any other trims, adhesive and 12 months warranty. He was impressed with the TG Cem Floor screed and said as long as the plasterer covers it up and it doesn't get contaminated it may only need light sanding which he will include in his price.

We already have our flooring purchased which we got very cheaply (just shy of £2k) so fitting is more than the flooring.

On 06/10/2020 at 12:25, canalsiderenovation said:

I'm starting to look ahead to get someone to fit our LVT flooring. We have purchased it online and in advance are trying to get some quotes for fitting. I've contacted a few places, asked for recommendations locally but they will only supply and fit, not supply only. We would rather a professional fit it but we can't seem to find anyone. If anyone has some recommendations in the Shropshire or surrounding areas would they let me know please. Thanks ?

I went through all of this. The decent installers wanted to supply and the installers happy to install only seemed to know less about it than me. Result, I installed it myself. Unless you have gone for borders and things, it is easy if you are handy and can carry out building and joinery tasks well then you will manage this. Even if you have gone for borders and things I would suggest you just practise a bit. It is gluing plastic to a floor at the end of the day. 

I can talk you through the process I used and the materials I went for.

Edited by Carrerahill

23 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

One guy been out today who has been highly recommended. We have around 175m2 and he is quoting £2700 pls VAT to fit which included stair trims (we have two stairs), any other trims, adhesive and 12 months warranty. He was impressed with the TG Cem Floor screed and said as long as the plasterer covers it up and it doesn't get contaminated it may only need light sanding which he will include in his price.

We already have our flooring purchased which we got very cheaply (just shy of £2k) so fitting is more than the flooring.

That sounds good value.  Have you seen his work or spoken to a customer?  I really like good quality LVT when it is neatly fitted to a properly prepped floor.

28 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Bite his hand off - that’s incredibly good value !!!

1 hour ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Have you had the floor diamond disc sanded? LVT will likely come up if you don't. I was originally planning to have my floor tiled and the tiler offered to sand it. He used a conventional floor sander and about 30 sand paper discs and it barely touched the laitance. I switched to wanting LVT and the LVT installer told me to get it done properly so I went back to the screeding company who used a diamond disc sander and the difference was chalk and cheese.

Just looked up the LVT installer's invoice:

Supply & Apply 120m2 Primer

Supply & apply 120m2 Laytex Screed

Fit only 120m2 of Amtico flooring - (Amtico Supplied by customer)

Price includes all adhesives

All levelling materials and adhesives are gypsum-based and compatible with gypsum-based floors with underfloor heating.

£2,280

14 minutes ago, Wagas said:

Have you had the floor diamond disc sanded?

Not yet but the flooring company said they will include it and do it a few days beforehand. He was very good and moisture tested the floors etc and seemed to very much know his stuff. 

That quote doesn't look too bad @Wagas compared to what we have had.

Edited by canalsiderenovation

Ok so I’m paying £4300 for approx 112 sqm Fitted LVT No VAT new build.  That’s including screed and all material Lifestyle flooring LVT which retails at £19 sqm.  From approved dealer installer etc with good reputation.

so your quote sounds good / fair if from someone with good reputation.

Post pics once it’s done !

26 minutes ago, Bozza said:

Ok so I’m paying £4300 for approx 112 sqm Fitted LVT No VAT new build.  That’s including screed and all material Lifestyle flooring LVT which retails at £19 sqm.  From approved dealer installer etc with good reputation.

so your quote sounds good / fair if from someone with good reputation.

Post pics once it’s done !

That works out around £19 m2 then for fitting.

We don't need screed as this has already been laid over our pipes by the builders and aside from some sanding should be ok according to the one guy who quoted.

Had another guy quoted at £30m2 and he didn't seem half as good (not local).

Edited by canalsiderenovation

Laytex screed is an additional screed that goes on top of the screed you have. It gives a super smooth finish ready for the LVT.

6 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

That works out around £19 m2 then for fitting.

We don't need screed as this has already been laid over our pipes by the builders and aside from some sanding should be ok according to the one guy who quoted.

Had another guy quoted at £30m2 and he didn't seem half as good (not local).

34 minutes ago, Bozza said:

Lifestyle flooring LVT which retails at £19 sqm.

I got ours from Lifestyle. We wanted a herringbone pattern but our installer insisted it couldn't be done on the day of the job as the tiles were not all the exact same length...I'm talking tiny fractions out. We ended up going with a 45 degree install which looks good but would have preferred herringbone.

I'll never know if the installer just wanted an easier time or was right, but there must be a reason why Lifestyle are so cheap (and not the reasons they state).

22 minutes ago, Wagas said:

Laytex screed is an additional screed that goes on top of the screed you have. It gives a super smooth finish ready for the LVT.

The first guy said he would normally do this but the flooring has been done exceptionally well 'the best I've ever seen'. He was literally walking around inspecting it, even asked him who had done it.

+1 to the builder there then!

1 minute ago, Wagas said:

I'd get him to do it anyway as LVT is so thin it will show up any imperfection in the screed. If he says he normally does it he wont mind doing yours as well for the same price ?

I'm already trying to haggle the price down! Don't want a shoddy job though, but I'm sure this guy won't sh!t on his doorstep, he would stand to lose a lot of work from the pub and other businesses. Word gets around fast here everyone knows one another. The talk of the village seems to be our GRP roof.

• Haha 1

Interesting the guy we had round yesterday  said had we not purchased our flooring already (technically we could cancel it as it's fully refundable and hasn't been delivered) he could do Kardean Knight range at £29.99 fully fitted. At 2mm thick with a wear layer of 0.33mm it's not as good as the ones we have ordered which is thicker with a wear layer of 0.55 although accept the Kardean may be a better product than the Berry Alloc.