Juliette balcony fixing to sips

Hi all,

Has anyone fitting a Juliette Balcony to the exterior of a SIPS panel? If so how did you go about the fixings?

i take it that it will be necessary to beef up the mounting areas but with what?

We will have timber cladding and it’s associated void to cater for (approx 63mm plus 20mm cladding).

I would have thought if you fix into the internal timbers of the SIPs that would suffice. And then also pack out the void so that the cladding does not compress.

I also have SIPS but will at some point in the future have a balcony with independent supports into terra firma below as I don't want any complications with the fixings into the SIPs and cladding. But I think in your case as long as you know where the solid timbers are, then you should be fine. If you have no solid timbers where you need them, then you could just fix through the OSB/PUR/OSB portion and use these types of anchor: 

Thermally Broken Anchors for Glass Juliet Balcony

Assuming you have not plastered yet inside!

I have asked this very question to my engineer today.

Last minute addition of juliet balconies (wife's idea id managed to dodge until now)...engineer needs to know details to add in, but of course I don't know details yet as I'll nees to acour Internet for weeks and pontificate  over pricing and styles. Hence I sent him tow images of simalr systems and just asked if he can add generic details to secure either  (then secure at the side of the window opening. 

Mine is a SIPS kit with renderboard hence similar.  I'll let you know what he says this week. 

I saw the thermal break fixings on Balconylife’s website so have sent them an enquiry. Let’s see what they come back with.

wasnt that keen on the look of “button” type fixings myself as I prefer the linear look, but the wife’s happy with them so that’s decided for me then!

Be interested to see what you come back with.