Planning a shower room for parents

Vijay

Total no brainer with the waste already there to put the WC at the right.

We have wet rooms and the only thing I will mention is they are much harder to keep clean with all the grout in the bottom of the shower. The positive is that it tends to be a lot less slippery than a tray. I had to put stickers on the bottom of my parents tray as they found it a death trap. We have ordered rougher stone effect trays for their new place which I hope are the best of both worlds. I would be tempted to use a tray still as it it a lot less likely to leak and easier to look after, but with the walk in screen.

55 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Option 2

privacy if someone is on the pan ( and still able to go themselves)

waste pipe was on this side anyway so will make tying into 4” easier, no point in making unnecessary grief.

also gives you a bit of distance to get a fall from the shower waste to the 4”

these were all considerations when we did my folks house, old people can’t take upheaval so make it easy on yourself.

I think which ever way I go, getting the waste pipe into place is going to take come working out and work, so fully expecting a headache on that ;)

Getting the shower waste outside is gonna be an issue cos of the joist direction. Won't know how to work that until I get some of the flooring up

14 minutes ago, AliG said:

Total no brainer with the waste already there to put the WC at the right.

We have wet rooms and the only thing I will mention is they are much harder to keep clean with all the grout in the bottom of the shower. The positive is that it tends to be a lot less slippery than a tray. I had to put stickers on the bottom of my parents tray as they found it a death trap. We have ordered rougher stone effect trays for their new place which I hope are the best of both worlds. I would be tempted to use a tray still as it it a lot less likely to leak and easier to look after, but with the walk in screen.

As obvious as it is, the keeping the tiled floor clean never occurred to me. Will have to raise that issue with my Mum now....

If I they did end up with a tray, it would be a non slip one as Nick suggested. Anything used has to be non slip as a priority.

Can a tray be sunk so it's level with the floor level?? I guess sealing the joining edge could be an issue.....

Edited by Vijay

19 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Can a tray be sunk so it's level with the floor level?? I guess sealing the joining edge could be an issue.....

You can get 30mm thick trays. If you ply and then tile the floor it will be almost exactly level with it.

Just seal the front edge of the tray with silicone as you would he other edges to the tiled walls.

I have a 40mm ( I think) Mira tray that comes with an anti slip coating.

it’s only 1200x800 it’s for the downstair shower right room.

Could you could build up the surrounding floor to meet a tray height, 

I wonder if you could loose 18/22 off the existing flooring by fitting the tray on top of the joists

not sure if you could ply inbetween the existing joists to strengthen the floor and sit tray on plywood infill and tops of joists??

On 14/02/2021 at 18:12, AliG said:

You can get 30mm thick trays. If you ply and then tile the floor it will be almost exactly level with it.

Just seal the front edge of the tray with silicone as you would he other edges to the tiled walls.

Nick posted one as low as 25mm and anti slip, so they give me options.

On 14/02/2021 at 20:00, TonyT said:

Could you could build up the surrounding floor to meet a tray height, 

I wonder if you could loose 18/22 off the existing flooring by fitting the tray on top of the joists

not sure if you could ply inbetween the existing joists to strengthen the floor and sit tray on plywood infill and tops of joists??

I saw this online somewhere, they attached parallel timber/frames on the joists, basically creating a tray for the 18/22 floor panels to sit on, so the new floor was at the height of the existing floor joist, then they put the shower on that.

I'm going to ask a probably very stupid question, but do you have to use a former for a walk in shower floor or can you make the fall from timber? I am looking to have the drain along the longer wall of the 1800 x 800 shower area, so I wondered if I created the fall in timber/ply/osb which I then completely tank.

4 hours ago, Vijay said:

I'm going to ask a probably very stupid question, but do you have to use a former for a walk in shower floor or can you make the fall from timber? I am looking to have the drain along the longer wall of the 1800 x 800 shower area, so I wondered if I created the fall in timber/ply/osb which I then completely tank.

I think some people have done this but sounds like hard work to me.

Here are various formers that are 1800mm, a lot less choices if you insist on a linear drain. I think that may be too constraining.

https://www.wetrooms-online.com/results/?custom_f_138[0]=313830306d6d&custom_f_138[1]=313835306d6d

Most say they need support so you couldn't put them on the joists, I think one of them says support not needed. I guess you could support them between the joists?

Edited by AliG