Electricity supply outage

newhome

My electricity supply is going off on Tuesday. Do I really need to unplug everything? No one does when there’s a power cut of course. 

Typically they are doing it now when just a couple of weeks ago the weather was much warmer. They are supposed to be providing me with a generator as I am working from home and need the router and power to the laptop. Can I run a kettle from that or a 3kw heater? 

Here is the info they’ve sent me. 

7EF7BD0A-1E9F-41A5-9F48-6FEC8C0B566F.jpeg

It seems sensible to switch off and/or unplug when you *know* there's going to be a disruption, since things are going to at the very least be messy on the way off and on, especially if everything that has pent up demand (eg fridges) tries to ramp up as the first sniff of power appears.

(Good, modern gadgets in some cases delay drawing significant power until the suppy seems stable, but lots won't.)

Rgds

Damon

I can’t even get to some of the plugs. Am I better to switch everything off at the CU unit instead and just leave one lighting circuit on and then switch the rest on gradually once it’s back up and running? 

15 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

You’re very lucky that they are supplying a generator,

I hope they still are! Not heard anything since the guy offered it over the phone since the start of Sept. 

How long is the outage?

What sort of generator?  I am guessing a portable one you will have to run an extension lead to plug in the router and computer?  And hope the fuel tank lasts long enough to last a whole day.

They will sometimes install a big trailer mounted generator in the street, they did that here at a care home when it was going to take 2 days to repair a power line that was down, but I doubt that is what they are proposing for you?

Or phone in sick tomorrow? :ph34r:

Having checked the letter the outage is actually Wednesday and power will be off at 9am until they finish the work. Hopefully on again before it’s super dark outside. 

No idea re the generator but they said that they would leave it at the front door so guess I can trail a lead through the letterbox as I don’t fancy having a door or window open all day. 

My neighbour has 5 tanks of tropical fish and I know she’s been on at them to ensure that she has an adequate back up supply. She leaves for work early though so if they are only dropping the generator off on the day I don’t know how that will work. 

I won’t phone in sick as I can work off the mobile at a push, but it’s not very convenient as I can’t do everything I need to on there. 

If you have enough data, can you tether your laptop to the mobile?  You then get a few hours on the lappy depending how good the battery is before you need to start the generator.

Boil the kettle pre power cut and fill several flasks.

Will your neighbour let you go and attend to keeping the fish warm?

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If you have enough data, can you tether your laptop to the mobile?  You then get a few hours on the lappy depending how good the battery is before you need to start the generator.

Nope! So security conscious they won’t allow tethering. 

Yes I’ll speak to the neighbour about sorting her fish if they’ve left before the generator arrives as I have a key. Typically they are in 4 different rooms! 

Generator is here. He says I can’t run a kettle etc or it will trip. He asked if I wanted it inside. I said won’t it be noisy and stink. It’s not very noisy he says. I asked him to put it outside anyway and it’s noisy and smelly. Guess everything is relative ...

T minus 45 mins until the power goes off 

20 minutes ago, newhome said:

Generator is here. He says I can’t run a kettle etc or it will trip. He asked if I wanted it inside. I said won’t it be noisy and stink. It’s not very noisy he says. I asked him to put it outside anyway and it’s noisy and smelly. Guess everything is relative ...

T minus 45 mins until the power goes off 

Errrr, a petrol / diesel genny? Carbon monoxide works well indoors !!!

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Errrr, a petrol / diesel genny? Carbon monoxide works well indoors !!!

Well I wouldn’t fancy breathing in the fumes all day. I guess the dog would die first ?. Don’t want her to act as the canary though!