Structural warranty

Mike_scotland

46 minutes ago, Mike_scotland said:

got my buildzone structural warranty quote back.... its £6000!! 

The surveyor came out 3 or 4 times to my build. Didn’t spend long here but took a few photos. Then sent a report at the end saying things like a certificate was needed for the gas boiler (no mains gas in the area and the boiler he took a photo of was electric), and that the PV panels wouldn’t be covered by the warranty (no PV here, just solar thermal). It was a while ago but I think I paid something like 2.5k plus about £130 for an indemnity fee because the foundations had already been laid (we bought the plot with the foundations) so the build was counted as ‘started’. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Where are you in Scotland? 

Value and size of house? And construction  type? 

Angus , North East 

230m2 roughly thats inc integral garage.

350k reinstatement cost.

TF with block and render outside.

Any help appreciated 

38 minutes ago, Mike_scotland said:

Angus , North East 

230m2 roughly thats inc integral garage.

350k reinstatement cost.

TF with block and render outside.

Any help appreciated 

Insane price. 

I am 300 sqm that's including my integral garage, SIPS construction, render on renderboard outer skin.  £500k reinstatement cost. Just south of Glasgow. 

On all counts - your build is less risky, smaller, and cheaper to reinstate. Someone is ripping the proverbial piss. 

Get yourself on Protek self build for a warranty quote, see below. Weirdly and I cannot remember why selfbuildzone is Protek. 

image.thumb.png.40a752557ba2d9b58a26934522fdefda.png

Product Premium (inc. IPT) Product Warranty Premium (inc. IPT) Inspection Fees (inc. VAT) Catlin Site Insurance (18 months) £1,588.28

10 Year Structural Warranty  £1,215.40

Inspections £4,704.00

Total - 7500 i think.... thats buildzone.

Who did you end up going with and what was the cost of your audits?

4 minutes ago, Mike_scotland said:

Product Premium (inc. IPT) Product Warranty Premium (inc. IPT) Inspection Fees (inc. VAT) Catlin Site Insurance (18 months) £1,588.28

10 Year Structural Warranty  £1,215.40

Inspections £4,704.00

Total - 7500 i think.... thats buildzone.

Who did you end up going with and what was the cost of your audits?

I haven't purchased yet, it is imminent though as due to start works in 6-8 weeks. 

The prices I quoted earlier are now valid for 30 days. 

Premium: £2065.41
IPT (12%): £247.85
Site Insurance Total: £2,313.26 (24 months)

Premium: £891.00
IPT (12%): £106.92
Technical Audit: £1,872.00
Structural Warranty Total: £2,869.92

Another one for Protek here, every other quote i had was absurd. 

IIRC I paid a very similar price to @SuperJohnG. Funnily enough our build bears some similarities - 280m2, SIP, £500k reinstatement cost for mine.

Edited by LA3222

13 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Just got this from self build zone - who are also Build zone (different trading names)

image.png.342b016e76e1490f5b56bfc81b16aa6c.png

Very expensive. My suggestuon is go to protek, you'll get an instant quote and it will be much better. 

I wonder if its because I'm TF and not sips! 

I will try self build zone.

46 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

I haven't purchased yet, it is imminent though as due to start works in 6-8 weeks. 

The prices I quoted earlier are now valid for 30 days. 

Premium: £2065.41
IPT (12%): £247.85
Site Insurance Total: £2,313.26 (24 months)

Premium: £891.00
IPT (12%): £106.92
Technical Audit: £1,872.00
Structural Warranty Total: £2,869.92

Is your quote protek? Sorry I may of asked before.

58 minutes ago, Mike_scotland said:

Is your quote protek? Sorry I may of asked before.

Yes. Protek. 

I just provided the self build zone one to show it was more expensive. Go for protek they will be cheaper. 

It won't be because you are TF, its more recognised than SIPS. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi folks. Been off this site for a while as we put our plans back by a year. Not sure who people are using for their mortgage, but Ecology don't need a warranty and I'm waiting to hear back from the Hanley about a PCC from ABC+ warranty. Our quote for where we are for a 10 year warranty was nearly £4k!

1 hour ago, davejura said:

Hi folks. Been off this site for a while as we put our plans back by a year. Not sure who people are using for their mortgage, but Ecology don't need a warranty and I'm waiting to hear back from the Hanley about a PCC from ABC+ warranty. Our quote for where we are for a 10 year warranty was nearly £4k!

We built with Ecology (nothing but good things to say about them) but once the build is finished you move to their discounted SVR (depending on your SAP / PH cert)and it's not the cheapest - from memory 2% more than the general lending market.

If you plan to re-mge in the 10 years thereafter then expect the lender to ask if you have a warranty. I say that advisedly as I was asked by the surveyor when I did it and said 'yes'. But he never asked for details or followup so I suppose I could have been dishonest had I not paid out for a warranty.

If you sell in the same time period then your buyer's solicitor may ask for same - I believe there are other options available should you not have one (indemnity policy??).

I am under no illusion that they're likely not worth the paper they're printed on wrt claiming for issues and I had an opportunity to get a refund when my original provider went into administration just as I was obtaining BCO sign off to activate the policy. I hummed and hawed and decided to stick with it as it was sunk money (not that I wouldn't have minded £4k back) but wanted to retain flexibility with mortgaging for the future. 

I guess it's a view on what is the warranty cost as a % of age savings over 10 years.

Edited by Bitpipe
  • Like 1

I spoke to our existing mortgage provider, and we may be able to borrow enough by increasing our existing mortgage. If that is the case, selling our current house should pay it off and if all goes to plan we would be mortgage free! But, I realise things have a habit of not going to plan, so if we then needed a small mortgage on the new property, we would need a warranty. Need to balance out the risks (if my existing provider plays ball!). Does anyone know roughly what an indemnity policy would cost and would this do?

• 1 year later...

Hi all. 

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or post here. 

We're also researching warranties and from what I can see in the attached spreadsheet, there are fair number of lenders who would accept PCC, including some major ones such as Halifax, Natwest, Nationwide & RBS.

I've been pondering this question for awhile now. In our case, we will be doing most of the building work ourselves, employing tradesmen only for the more laborious jobs, electrics & gas, etc .. It is also very likely the project will span 3+ years. It goes without saying that we are not concerned with the quality of workmanship or any future problems. With this in mind, it doesn't seem to make any sense to pay in the region of £7000 for warranty cover if we can avoid it and still re-mortgage at the end.

Any thoughts? Has anyone been on the market to re-mortgage only with PCC? Any recommendations for good (and reasonably priced) surveyors who we can get onsite to oversee the build and issue the PCC? We are based on the Surrey/Hants border.

Thanks

Lenders Criteria.xlsx

Edited by Pav

47 minutes ago, Pav said:

Hi all. 

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or post here. 

We're also researching warranties and from what I can see in the attached spreadsheet, there are fair number of lenders who would accept PCC, including some major ones such as Halifax, Natwest, Nationwide & RBS.

I've been pondering this question for awhile now. In our case, we will be doing most of the building work ourselves, employing tradesmen only for the more laborious jobs, electrics & gas, etc .. It is also very likely the project will span 3+ years. It goes without saying that we are not concerned with the quality of workmanship or any future problems. With this in mind, it doesn't seem to make any sense to pay in the region of £7000 for warranty cover if we can avoid it and still re-mortgage at the end.

Any thoughts? Has anyone been on the market to re-mortgage only with PCC? Any recommendations for good (and reasonably priced) surveyors who we can get onsite to oversee the build and issue the PCC? We are based on the Surrey/Hants border.

Thanks

Lenders Criteria.xlsx 24.5 kB · 1 download

Hi @Pav cant help with re-mortgage  with a PCC as we have not finished our build yet but our self build mortgage provider accepts them . 

As for price we have 11 inspections for £1500 + VAT  , so just under 2k , we are on the Cams, Norfolk  boarder.

Edited by Buzz
  • Like 1