Height of velux windows

Barry

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help!

We have recently had a new roof installed and attic conversion and are now going through the process of having the works signed off by building controls.

I’ve been asked by BC to confirm the heights of the velux windows in two of the bedrooms… and herein lies the problem!

According to Part B of the regs, the measurement is supposed to be taken from the floor level to the bottom of the openable area.  I would interpret the openable area as the sash of the velux – as it’s the bit that opens and closes!  Therefore, if I measure from the floor to the bottom edge of the sash, the measurement is bang on 1100mm!!!! 

However, if you open the velux sash and measure from the floor level to the bottom of the final opening out onto the roof, its 40mm higher, due to the frame!

Which is the right way to take the measurement?  To the bottom of the openable area, or the bottom of the final opening?  My worry is that BC will say the final opening, although the guidance says "bottom of the openable area".  If so, would they accept a 40mm tolerance?   

Really appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer.

Many thanks

Barry

The height is measured to the actual opening so the 1.1m would have to include the frame. The regulation is there for a reason so there isn’t usually any tolerance. If you wanted, you could have a small 40mm step up at the velux to meet the BR’s. Whether you then remove this step post BR sign off is up to you. 

Also check the distance down the roof outside - some insist on it also being in line with the old regs too. If it’s any consolation, the one I’ve done recently is 1050mm, but we have also had to put intumescent strips on all the doors and do steps onto the dormer windows....

Better safe than ......?