Michael

Michael1965

Hi everyone,my first time on here, im in the process of buying a 1975 timber framed house,,, I've been left to believe that there is no Insulation in the cavity walls, I am thinking removing the inside plasterboard and replacing it with kingspan k118 ,,, does anyone know whether this will be ok to use? I would also like to know if there is anything else I can use within the cavity? My local council are as much help as a chocolate teapot!!

Regards Michael

Be careful what you mean by "cavity"

A normal timber frame house has a cavity between the brick or block outer skin and the timber frame.  If that is what you are talking about, then DO NOT fill that with insulation, it can lead to serious problems.

What you should be insulating is the space within the timber frame, a 1975 house will almost certainly have been build with a 100mm thick frame.  If that does not have any insulation then it is well worth filling it.

Kingspan type insulation is good but it demands you cut it accurately and / or foam in the gaps at the edges.  Mineral wool type insulation is a lot easier to fit.

1 hour ago, Michael1965 said:

Hi everyone,my first time on here, im in the process of buying a 1975 timber framed house,,, I've been left to believe that there is no Insulation in the cavity walls, I am thinking removing the inside plasterboard and replacing it with kingspan k118 ,,, does anyone know whether this will be ok to use? I would also like to know if there is anything else I can use within the cavity? My local council are as much help as a chocolate teapot!!

Regards Michael

Many on here has used frame therm they easy to apply, I would go with frame therm 32 if your cavity is smaller.

I wonder what the outside skin of timber frame was, plywood/osb? It would interesting to see what condition it is in at least from the inside, being that the build is 45 years old.

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me,,, at the moment all I can tell you is the lower half of the house is brick, the upper half is ceder shiplap cladding, which isn't bad condition but has been recommended by a previous surveyor to be changed, I've not seen between the walls yet but as soon as I know more I will come back here, I've heard that I'm not supposed to fill the cavity! Well with rockwool but not sure if I can use anything else?? I was just going to replace the plasterboard with something better, I will check out the frame therm, regards Michael

1 hour ago, Michael1965 said:

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me,,, at the moment all I can tell you is the lower half of the house is brick, the upper half is ceder shiplap cladding, which isn't bad condition but has been recommended by a previous surveyor to be changed, I've not seen between the walls yet but as soon as I know more I will come back here, I've heard that I'm not supposed to fill the cavity! Well with rockwool but not sure if I can use anything else?? I was just going to replace the plasterboard with something better, I will check out the frame therm, regards Michael

Hi again I just had a look at the frametherm 35,,, wouldn't that stop the air circulation? Thanks again for your help , Michael