Tall ceilings = tall windows and doors?

Conor

We have 2650mm ceilings on our ground floor. We're shopping for external doors and have realised that the architect has door and window heads of 2400mm  all around the house. This is making finding a front door a little more tricky as most standard doors are a max of 2100 or 2200mm. 

Is it normal to have higher head heights for higher ceilings? If we were to drop the front door HH to 2200, would we be best dropping the windows as well?

Screenshot_20201002-071223.png

Edited by Conor

Thanks @Oz07. What about internal doors? Would we be wise to make these a little taller as well? I had a thought that raising windows and doors would negate some of the effect of higher ceilings?

re top light... That's what the door guy suggested. But by the time you factor in frame 5hickness, you only end up with about 100mm of glass and a load of frame. Hoping to find a 2400mm high door. A pivot door will do that but they start at £5k....

I think it is personal choice, but I would have taller doors and windows to match. I quite often have bi fold doors made up to the ceiling height (2440) everybody says they look stunning. Think of all those big tall ceiling houses you see on the telly. They don't have short squat windows. Swags and tails look best when they are hung from the ceiling. Even if you only make the entrance door and windows taller, it will make the house feel more grand. 

Interested in this too as we've designed 2750 on ground floor but windows and doors only to 2100, and it hasn't even crossed my mind that the windows would be out of proportion. Can't say I notice it in my in-laws' similarly proportioned extension. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am currently looking at this myself, I have sourced a local company that does a wide range on internal doors up to 2140mm (7ft) doors  but I had my external doors and window head heights at 2.2m. My ceiling height is 2.750.

My question is, is it ok to have the internal door head height that bit higher than the window head heights or would I be better lower the window  and external height thatch or pay an additional £80 per internal door to raise them to match the 2.2 head height.

I'd like you opinions on this as whilst it's a small thing it's been like a brain work and I can't seem to move on to the other 100 decisions I need to make quick till I land this one.