Covering an EPS plinth

We need to get the EPS upstand of our house covered before the paving can be done. It will have a gravel margin next to it & cedar cladding 150mm above for the majority of the perimeter, the exceptions being the thresholds of doors, which are level with ACO drains in front. 
Our options seem to be cement board with thincoat render, powder coated aluminium or the composite panel as used by @worldwidewebs  

What are the experiences of others? I imagine it is difficult to get a good render finish tight up to the cladding - but would it be noticeable? This sounds the most durable. The other 2 options sound as if they would initially at least give a cleaner finish, but what happens over time?

5 hours ago, Nick1c said:

We need to get the EPS upstand of our house covered before the paving can be done. It will have a gravel margin next to it & cedar cladding 150mm above for the majority of the perimeter, the exceptions being the thresholds of doors, which are level with ACO drains in front. 
Our options seem to be cement board with thincoat render, powder coated aluminium or the composite panel as used by @worldwidewebs  

What are the experiences of others? I imagine it is difficult to get a good render finish tight up to the cladding - but would it be noticeable? This sounds the most durable. The other 2 options sound as if they would initially at least give a cleaner finish, but what happens over time?

You can render directly onto the EPS LW1 

21 hours ago, Nick1c said:

We used Ubiflex which is fixed using their adhesive and looks really smart

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I did try looking for posts, but my search skilzs are clearly lacking. 
It looks as if I am late thinking about this as our cladding is already on with the battens cut to suit the cladding. 

We have 19mm WRC on 25mm battens above. The DPC has been turned down & taped as it was holding water onto the frame when turned up (how the framers left it). 
I assume we need a carrier board if we render, but this looses the majority of the air gap (3mm dot & dab, 12mm board, 3mm render?). 
The ubiflex potentially looks great - @Pete do you have pics/ details of how you fixed it on. 
I am concerned that if we use long lengths of aluminium that it will ripple & also be easily marked by the gravel margin. It also sounds expensive. 
The method @Jeremy Harris used relied on batten continuing down the EPS, which we don’t have. Could the board be glued directly to the EPS, how are they joined - a silicone bead?

23 minutes ago, Nick1c said:

Thanks for the replies. I did try looking for posts, but my search skilzs are clearly lacking. 
It looks as if I am late thinking about this as our cladding is already on with the battens cut to suit the cladding. 

We have 19mm WRC on 25mm battens above. The DPC has been turned down & taped as it was holding water onto the frame when turned up (how the framers left it). 
I assume we need a carrier board if we render, but this looses the majority of the air gap (3mm dot & dab, 12mm board, 3mm render?). 
The ubiflex potentially looks great - @Pete do you have pics/ details of how you fixed it on. 
I am concerned that if we use long lengths of aluminium that it will ripple & also be easily marked by the gravel margin. It also sounds expensive. 
The method @Jeremy Harris used relied on batten continuing down the EPS, which we don’t have. Could the board be glued directly to the EPS, how are they joined - a silicone bead?

I just used the ubiflex adhesive to fix it. Really easy to do, applied a couple of horizontal beads and fixed the Ubiflex. I used some rollers to try and get good adhesion. I will add you can sometimes see a small amount of RIP g but it is very slight and on the overall look of the house looks fine. The Ubiflex is very easy to bend around corners. I butt joined it and will cover with a black Silkaflex. I bought the 900mm wide roll and cut it to size, saved a few pennies!!

16017163945357802806794675375216.jpg

1601716426065961104749536136253.jpg

On 01/10/2020 at 13:15, Nick1c said:

What are the experiences of others?

I used gel PU adhesive to stick some brick slips to the EPS upstand on my insulated foundations. They are still there many years later.

https://www.axminstertools.com/titebond-greenchoicetm-premium-polyurethane-construction-adhesive-ax836048

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 01/10/2020 at 19:12, nod said:

You can render directly onto the EPS LW1 

Hey @nod have you got any idea what would be best to render onto the EPS I'VE BEEN TOLD AQUABASE ewi 226 WITH A FIBERGLASS MESH

or aquamat elastic with fiberglass mesh or polyester fleece? any comments on either of these? which might be best most of the area covered with it will then be underground back filled against according to the diagrams.

3 hours ago, Highland build said:

Hey @nod have you got any idea what would be best to render onto the EPS I'VE BEEN TOLD AQUABASE ewi 226 WITH A FIBERGLASS MESH

or aquamat elastic with fiberglass mesh or polyester fleece? any comments on either of these? which might be best most of the area covered with it will then be underground back filled against according to the diagrams.

I use Styropz for vertically every job 

Good price good to use 

Or aqua cement board 

LW1 for the EWI seems quite pricey 

But you don’t need a base coat 

5 mil coat then fibre mesh Two hours later a second coat of LW1 (10 mil)

Ive applied many thousands of m2s and never had an issue 

Bombproof 

Drop me a message if you need any other help or advise 

• Like 1