£% to watertight

ZacP

Hi All, 

I know this is a bit of a how long is a piece of sting question, but out of your actual building cost (so excluding plot purchase and professional fees) how much did you spend getting to weather proof? i.e. superstructure, roof, windows/doors fitted?

To try and standardise it a bit I thought as a % of total build cost would give an idea.

Thanks!

Looking at about £145k for us to get watertight - inc ground works but excluding design, planning, BC fees etc. (£15k ground works, £75k walls/floors, £25k roof, £30k doors and windows.) That's about 60% of our budget. That's for a 300m2 ICF 1.5 story house with basement, built to passive standards. 

Edited by Conor
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Conor said:

Looking at about £145k for us to get watertight - inc ground works but excluding design, planning, BC fees etc. (£15k ground works, £75k walls/floors, £25k roof, £30k doors and windows.) That's about 60% of our budget. That's for a 300m2 ICF 1.5 story house with basement, built to passive standards. 

Thats good to hear (read), my girlfriend and i were discussing cost to get water tight a few days ago (we are still looking for a plot) and were hoping for similar figures doing a lot of the work and project management ourselves.

2 hours ago, ZacP said:

Hi All, 

I know this is a bit of a how long is a piece of sting question, but out of your actual building cost (so excluding plot purchase and professional fees) how much did you spend getting to weather proof? i.e. superstructure, roof, windows/doors fitted?

To try and standardise it a bit I thought as a % of total build cost would give an idea.

Thanks!

We spent 90 of the 190k spent 

Ok so thanks for your replies so far. A surprisingly large spread: 47%55%, 60% 64%. 

For us could mean anything from £141k to £192k. 

We have planned

15k for demolition

20k for groundworks (insulated raft)

45k for structural walls (ICF inc. rebar, concrete etc)

12k for floors/stairs

28k for roof and tiling

24k for windows

Comes to £144k. + contingency = £158,400

Guess I'm on the right track! 

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, ZacP said:

Ok so thanks for your replies so far. A surprisingly large spread: 47%55%, 60% 64%. 

For us could mean anything from £141k to £192k. 

We have planned

15k for demolition

20k for groundworks (insulated raft)

45k for structural walls (ICF inc. rebar, concrete etc)

12k for floors/stairs

28k for roof and tiling

24k for windows

Comes to £144k. + contingency = £158,400

Guess I'm on the right track! 

Thanks!

The ratio entirely depends on how much you spend fitting out the house... You can spend £5k or £50k on a kitchen. Your estimate seems good tho £15k for demolition is a lot, unless it's a large, difficult building.

13 minutes ago, Conor said:

£15k for demolition is a lot, unless it's a large, difficult building.

Only 80sqm timber bungalow.V limited ability to get plant on/off site. Still working out how to do it, otherwise will have to be done by hand. Gulp! Or just a large bonfire might happen by accident!

Guessing most self builders go for a slightly higher than average spec. Think we will do something similar.

@dpmiller We're using lightweight building materials; icf (pumped concrete from road alongside site, pozi joists etc and can use a telehandler to get 'heavy' materials on to site. Getting things on to site is easier (downhill) then getting them offsite (uphill). Going to be using a conveyor for getting spoil up the slope and into waiting skips/grab trucks. Tricky but doable.

Edited by ZacP