Living with mvhr

The consensus from this forum (mostly) is on permanently but I turn mine off during hot weather as my other half opens all the windows Anyway (which lets in hot air ). I suggested a long time ago that MVHR should be controlled with an air quality sensor, a bit like central heating is controlled by a thermostat but I am told that is very difficult to achieve.

Ours runs 24/7.  It runs at normal rate all day, and low rate at night.  It also boosts foe 2x half hours each day to help keep the air very clear, and also boosts when excess oisture is detected (Kettle, shower), and boosts via a relay when the cooker hood is turned on.

I started using low rate at night, as it was just about audible when in bed, as the bedroom terminal is close to the bed.

Do remember that the airflow is relatively low - compared to, say, a kitchen extractor - and so even when you're not there it is likely still clearing contaminants from when you were.

Note also that the background power rate is relatively low - whilst I haven't fully finished mine (in terms of balancing mine and still got two or three runs to add) I've got nine runs so far and it consumes a constant 7W in background mode and so costs ~£10/yr to run. Boost is higher (39W) but that only runs when we're in and doing things to cause it to.