Brink Flair 300

6 hours ago, Conor said:

@larry @Olf @Levo I've been looking in to this a bit more. None of the standard Brink units come with a built in RH sensor - just temperature. So only boost option is single contact push button for a 30min boost. Also, if you want a RH sensor, you need to buy the "plus" version, so that's another £180 or so. And sensor seems to be another £140... so not so cheap after all.

I’m glad I just read that as was planning on getting a 400 plus.

Looks like it’ll be the Ducobox 400 now then which has those abilities as standard, but at a higher price point.

6 hours ago, Olf said:

My cunning plan is to hack the speed controller socket (X14): it's a bunch of volt-free contacts wired to RJ12 plug. Added benefit is that the humidity sensor can be made smart: response to spike of the level above average, rather than fixed level - which if set low, on some damp days can trigger MVHR to boost all the time.

509120913_BrinkX14.png.2adac6875dcc2adcd26c004e937fed4f.png

Now that is clever, respect!!

In the end have plumped for a Vent Axia FH. All quite new so will see how we get on....

On 16/12/2020 at 15:20, Olf said:

My cunning plan is to hack the speed controller socket (X14): it's a bunch of volt-free contacts wired to RJ12 plug. Added benefit is that the humidity sensor can be made smart: response to spike of the level above average, rather than fixed level - which if set low, on some damp days can trigger MVHR to boost all the time.

509120913_BrinkX14.png.2adac6875dcc2adcd26c004e937fed4f.png

When I proposed doing this, the supplier I got my Brink 400 from said that there was something special about the switch. I was convinced there wasn't, so refused to pay extra for one.

As it happened, it came in the box anyway. I fitted it 5 years ago with grand plans to do something more clever, but in the end it just hasn't be necessary.

Didn't fit the humidistat I paid so much for, either (although that was because some clod-hopping painter somehow managed to stand on it and break it, despite it being on top of a box out of the way). It's been fine without. We get a little condensation after showers at this time of the year due to not having heating in the bathrooms, but that clears within an hour or two without boost.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 22:46, larry said:

Really interesting thread: also come across the 300 via the PHI database, has anybody actually fitted it, and does it have an internal humidistat?

And, levo how did you get on getting the pipes down from 160 ? Do you mind me asking what plenums and vents you used? Interested in the soil pipe idea so would love to know how this worked if you ended up doing this

Haven't started installing yet but bought everything I need (the famous last words...)

I got a meter of 160mm foam pipe. I will fit 25cm on each port. It will also serve to reduce vibration.

This I will reduce to 150mm using the adapter below from BPC.

image.png.f335bd20e323d7d64469c684dd52551d.png

Then it is 150mm PVC for the bendy bits. I bought a 50cm Lindab filter for extract and 100cm for the supply side. Chose the 125mm size as it has a better attenuation profile and being very short, small impact on the pressure calculations.

For the long runs to outside I decided on the 220x90 PVC as it will be easier to hide underneath the loft insulation.
For distribution, I bought the Ubbink boxes and 75mm pipes, plenums too.

Valves are a mix:

For the kitchen I got a Filtered Extract Terminal from Paul Heat Recovery. Quite dear but has a replaceable F3 filter which I am hoping will catch the grease.

For the rest I bought a mix of Lindab Airy (for the living rooms), Zehnder Luna (bedrooms) and BPC metal for the studies and bathrooms.

On 17/12/2020 at 08:52, jack said:

When I proposed doing this, the supplier I got my Brink 400 from said that there was something special about the switch. I was convinced there wasn't, so refused to pay extra for one.

As it happened, it came in the box anyway. I fitted it 5 years ago with grand plans to do something more clever, but in the end it just hasn't be necessary.

Didn't fit the humidistat paid so much for, either (although that was because some clod-hopping painter somehow managed to stand on it and break it, despite it being on top of a box out of the way). It's been fine without. We get a little condensation after showers at this time of the year due to not having heating in the bathrooms, but that clears within an hour or two without boost.

I have some cunning plans on this too. The box has Modbus support. And there are plenty examples for designing controllers using Raspberry PI and the like on Youtube.

Let's see what I achieve in 5 years ?

49 minutes ago, Levo said:

I have some cunning plans on this too. The box has Modbus support. And there are plenty examples for designing controllers using Raspberry PI and the like on Youtube.

Please share if/when you do!

I looked into the Modbus side of things early on, but it's a bit beyond my knowledge/experience level. 

What material reasons are there to choose a Brink unit over a Vent Axia?  If they were equivalent size, it seems the Vent Axia units have integrated humidity sensor included which some users state is the simplest function that appropriately manages your air quality.  I can't see mention of either having enthalpy exchangers (are there any reasonably priced brands that provide this, my children have very sensitive skin).  Is it sue to PH certification?  If one were doing a retrofit, is price the determining factor?

20 hours ago, tanneja said:

If they were equivalent size, it seems the Vent Axia units have integrated humidity sensor included which some users state is the simplest function that appropriately manages your air quality

Indeed Brink, Zehnder etc offer those as options (one of many), whereas Vent Axia and similar have that built in as a standard - considering the module costs them probably £10 tops that makes sense (and is a ripoff in other cases). I've got bad experience with such sensor - it would trigger endless boost on warm humid days. Luckily that meant switching the unit off and using open widnows was an option. In normal operation the boost would only activate when humid air from a bathroom, after traveling the distance and mixing with 'normal' air from other places finally woke the built-in sensor up - essentially letting missus to steam the place...

I can't see mention of either having enthalpy exchangers (are there any reasonably priced brands that provide this, my children have very sensitive skin).

Brink and Zehnder for sure offer those (at extra price, but saves you running a drain, that in itself can be a godsend), VentAxia etc source heat exchangers from place that I believe does not offer them. But not sure if that is a massive benefit if even UK supplier does not try to upsell it.

Is it sue to PH certification?

PH certification gives independent verification of efficiency and noise claims, without that marketing departments can be as creative, as the paper accepts.

If one were doing a retrofit, is price the determining factor?

It depends on your budget :) If I was doing a basement in Chelsea, I'd use Zehnder with their nice ducting system (Comfowell) saving some space - it would pay back for itself.

In my case, with only one possible (and still very compomised) location to place the unit I was careful of how inlets/extracts run (Zehnder and Brink use opposite philosphy) to not to have to cross and twist the runs - something that is a non issue with dedicated room. Also because of proximity to bedrooms, quietness is high on my agenda. Finally it appeared that over long payback period the total cost levels up.

On 28/09/2020 at 18:52, Olf said:

CVC stocks only Flair 325  but going through PHI database I found Flair 300 - actually quieter and of slightly better performance. On top of that it can be sourced for £1600 (incl. delivery), so 1/3 cheaper than 325.

Judging by the fact that all the manuals are in Dutch only, I think it is version for Brink's domestic market, but comparing side by side with manual for 325 I could not find any massive differences.

Has anybody got experience with this model?

When one looks at the PHI database, when it has columns for airflow range, why is the upper bound (the "To" column) seemingly stated a s a flow number far below the max airflow in the unit literatures?  Is it the PHI test max airflow attempted, and for some reason that is never max unit airflow?

While I am not PH project, I want to discount having to apply relevance to these PHI test flow numbers to help size my system.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/11/2020 at 17:37, Levo said:

I will try and get the UK version from CVC if I can negotiate an acceptable price. If there are others interested, we may be able to gang up?!

Not sure if I’m too late for this, but I would be interested in a Brink Flair 400 from CVC but at the price advertised here, not at CVC’s price which is silly money more. https://www.ventilationland.co.uk/product/34627/brink-mvhr-flair-400-4-0-right.html

• 2 months later...

All the Ventilationland units are listed as having 'Randaarde' plugs which I think are the 2 pin plugs (rated for 230V, 50Hz I believe). Any ideas on how to convert? Just re-wire to a UK 3-pin or use an adaptor?

12 minutes ago, AndyBob said:

All the Ventilationland units are listed as having 'Randaarde' plugs which I think are the 2 pin plugs (rated for 230V, 50Hz I believe). Any ideas on how to convert? Just re-wire to a UK 3-pin or use an adaptor?

Chop the plug off and fit a UK 3 pin in its place