seized stopcock

jfb

So I find out that the internal stopcock has seized. Go outside to the Thames Water stopcock that feeds 2 properties. Tell the neighbours I'm going to turn it off for a bit. Stick my arm in and twist right until it is all the way off. Lo and behold the water keeps flowing in the house. Seems weird as the tap seems to move ok so don't see how it isn't working but it doesn't seem to be.

Phone the glorious company that is Thames Water to see if they can come and mend the outside stopcock - apparently they have a new policy involving not doing 'routine' maintenance and the gentleman on the phone says that they won't come out to mend something like that as he says you need to use the internal stopcock. I calmly suggest that it won't make changing the internal stopcock very easy and so surely they have to mend the outside one. He suggests a plumber to come out and freeze/crimp the existing internal stopcock so that it can be changed (sounds a bit beyond me).

Has anyone heard of that before that they won't sort out an external stopcock? Is that even legal/ allowed by the regulator?

Going back to trying to unseize the internal stopcock - a quick look at youtube suggests loosening the gland a little and then forcing the tap back and forth if possible until it works. If I try that and force it too much so that the handle breaks I presume that won't cause a leak at the stopcock - is that true? 

IMG_20200928_154046772.jpg

Be careful. I may be mistaken, but that looks like a lead pipe connecting to the bottom of the stopcock. So you don't want to be putting undue pressure on the stopcock.

When you turned off the outside stopcock, did you see if your neighbours water went off?  Are you sure you turned off the right one?

to try and free the stopcock, first clean the shaft with a wire brush or wire wool etc.  Then slacken the gland just a little, that is undo the little nut that the shaft goes through, while holding the bigger nut behind it with another spanner so you don't put stress on the pipes.  Then see if it will move at all in either direction.

Perhaps you would have been better telling Thames water their outside stopcock had stuck in the shut off position and you had no water supply, pretty sure they would have to come out then. Once the workmen arrived I doubt they would care exactly what the problem was and just replace it or fix it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MAB said:

Perhaps you would have been better telling Thames water their outside stopcock had stuck in the shut off position and you had no water supply, pretty sure they would have to come out then. Once the workmen arrived I doubt they would care exactly what the problem was and just replace it or fix it.

That is the best way to get them out. As said workman won't care.

14 hours ago, jfb said:

Thanks dave I will try that.

Yes I think it is lead pipe below so I will take care. And yes I did check with the neighbours and the water was still flowing!

Woahh..!! If that is lead from the street then TW have to replace it to your boundary- is it lead at the main..?? 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Woahh..!! If that is lead from the street then TW have to replace it to your boundary- is it lead at the main..?? 

Are you sure PeterW ? I have got a lead main coming in from the street to the boundary. I replaced my end with Blue. Phone Affinity Water to ask about gett the lead coming to the boundary changed, and was told that they have no legal obligation to do so.

I know it was a few years ago but at my parents house, where they shared a lead incoming pipe with three other houses I put in a new blue pipe To replace their lead pipe (to give them their own stop tap as I was refurbishing their kitchen and front path) and contacted Bristol Water as there website promoted new stop taps for people that replaced their incoming lead pipe. A rep came out to view the work and said they would only provide a new street stop tap if we replaced all the lead pipework within the house!!, I read their T,s and C,s and they did not demand all lead pipework was replaced in the house (my parents were elderly and could not put up with all that work). I rang the rep back and quoted him chapter and verse. He returned my call an hour later and apologised, his manager told him how to assess a job and was wrong. He thanked me fir putting him right. 

Thanks for all the input.

I managed to get the stopcock working (almost - it still doesn't shut it off completely though) enough to do the job.

Regarding the incoming mains  - Thames Water say they don't do anything beyond their external stopcock. All pipes from the external to internal stopcock are the responsibility of the homeowner.  I wonder if that has always been like that.

1 hour ago, jfb said:

Thames Water say they don't do anything beyond their external stopcock. All pipes from the external to internal stopcock are the responsibility of the homeowner.  I wonder if that has always been like that.

As far as I know, yes (which is why their stopcock should work so you can mend/replace you’re  pipe.)

Edited by joe90

17 minutes ago, jfb said:

Thanks for all the input.

All pipes from the external to internal stopcock are the responsibility of the homeowner.  I wonder if that has always been like that.

Yes. For all water companies that's why we call them "boundary boxes"

Re the stockpock. It's mostly likely debris or build up of minerals. Operating it from fully open to fully closed several times while you have a tap open in the house will help clear it out.