When to screed?

djcdan

As the title says, when should we screed?

We are hoping to have our timber frame arrive on site early spring. To optimise efficiency of time, I was expecting to go in the following order slab > insulation > UFH > screed > frame erection - basically getting the floor complete whilst we wait for the frame to arrive. However, a screeder who has just provided a quote has stated that screeding cannot happen before wind and watertight stage; so slab > frame erection > insulation > UFH > screed.

My father built a house 4-5 years ago and screeded prior to frame going up, hence thinking this was do-able.

Can anyone enlighten how this should be handled from experience? 

It can be done either before or after the frame has went up. How you do it will depend on you. Both methods are fine so it's just personal choice really. Some builders don't want to put the final screed down early due to the risk of it being damaged during the rest of the build. But others like to get the screed down without any internal walls in the way so it's much easier to level out. 

2 hours ago, djcdan said:

As the title says, when should we screed?

We are hoping to have our timber frame arrive on site early spring. To optimise efficiency of time, I was expecting to go in the following order slab > insulation > UFH > screed > frame erection - basically getting the floor complete whilst we wait for the frame to arrive. However, a screeder who has just provided a quote has stated that screeding cannot happen before wind and watertight stage; so slab > frame erection > insulation > UFH > screed.

My father built a house 4-5 years ago and screeded prior to frame going up, hence thinking this was do-able.

Can anyone enlighten how this should be handled from experience? 

He is quite correct 

Hardly anyone would quote to screed if the house isn’t watertight