Dips in screed floor

SKB

Hello,

Hoping some one may be able to offer advice. My living room floor has started to develop dips under the carpet. We have pulled up the carpet and found cracked dips in the screed. Not sure why this has happened? It was a small area to start of with but now more areas have come up in various places. There are no cracks on walls. We don't believe its subsidence. The dips are central to the floor. Could this be rectified by digging up the current screed in the complete living floor space and laying new screed? Or should we dig up the areas that are dipped and rectify those with new screed?

Appreciate any advice!

20200927_214738.jpg

We think it could be a compacting issue, it's hard to tell as we never did this extension. The previous owners did. We've lived here for 5 years and have noticed more dips and cracks appearing. The worrying bit are the dips that are appearing. We've been given advice to dig down a section and see if it's affected the concrete slab. 

@SKB

I’ve seen that problem a few times over the years on my commercial projects and each time it happened it turned out to be an issue with a traditional sand cement screed which had been laid with insufficient water in the mix. When there’s insufficient water the chemical reaction can’t take place right through the thickness of the full screed depth so the surface typically forms a hard skin that is 10 - 20mm thick  but the main body of the screed doesn’t cure and remains as a dry mix. The surface skin obviously can’t bond to the rest of the screed and it isn’t thick enough to take normal loads so eventually it starts to crack up just like your photo.

Edited by Ian
  • Sad 1

Hi Ian, thanks how much would it cost in your opinion? My living room size is 6.5 m length and 3.6m width. 

Hi Nod, the brick work and plaster have no cracks at all. I have checked both internally and externally.