Joist hangers - what am I missing

Moonshine

O.k so joist hangers are built into a masonry wall, and a metal plate hooks round the top of the block and gets mortared in.

So the hanger hieght is dependant on the lock height.

So how do you deal with where the required joist level does not tie in the block level?

Do you use 1/3 blocks to level up the joist level or do you select joist heights to match? Or can you put a spacer at the bottom of the hanger to get the right level?

32 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

You use bricks to get you to height if that suits better.  Then a packer if needed under the hanger. Then it's built over with whatever will bring it back into coursing.

Thanks, sounds like it can be sorted during the build once block and joist depths are know rather than at the design stage

It has a lot to do with the gauge of the block work, you should build a STOREY POLE this is a piece of timber 50x50 that will have height marks on it, it could have a mark for top of windows, top of doors, first floor height and so on, the brickies can use this to adjust their block height up or down a bit to hit the design height, over 10-12 courses of blocks gaining 1 mm per course will grow the building by 12 mm plus a brick course you can juggle things a lot. 

All down to good planning. 

Or as above just run a ledger board around the walls to simplify air tightness. 

• Like 4

Looking at the options and my build I think that I am going to use a ledger board with top fix hangers with I joists.

The air tightness is a factor but also the build progress. My house has a split level so the height of joists on ground floor aren't consistent so less head scratching for the brickies / error trying to build in the joists.

My thoughts are that the hangers could be pre fixed at the required centres on the ground then lifted and fixed into place.

The question I have is when do the ledger board get fitted? Surely the blocks need to be a certain height above and mortar set before drilling into wall?  

Or could a 2 storey external masonry wall be built without the joist being fitted?

Didn't we discuss previously deflection is more likely with a ledger because they're not a tight fit on the ends and this increases bounce?

One negative to that...

I'd think your ok putting a ledger on once 2 or 3 courses above where you need to be, at worst built overhand from the scaffold outside the building

@Oz07 but would this not be the case if it was going into a standard joist at 90 degrees?

Is the standard way to fit the ledger board to the wall (as per the video) drilling a load of holes into the block work (~75mm deep) and then set the threads in expoxy resin, wait for that to go off then bolt it?

Any idea on what thickness of thread and spacing's, would it need to be signed off / designed by a structural engineer? 

The thought of how to practically fix the ledge board, while at a height trying to keep it level and drilling a load of holes in it doesn't sound like great fun, and insight in how to make the installation easier?

Edited by Moonshine

Last one I fitted we used concrete screws to hold it in place and then drilled 600 centres at 50mm staggered along the centre line starting 150mm from the end, then inserted the Fischer resin capsules and stainless pins. Waited til it went off then nipped them tight. It’s still there and has a lot of weight on it so it must work ..!! 

• Like 2

I don't understand the science but awhile ago there was a discussion with regards pozis

As i remember if built in to blockwork the deflection was less compared to on hangers/top chord on top of ledger. It was to do with the end of the joist not being tight up to the ledger and this gives it room to move. I think built in the friction of the blockwork stops this.

Can anyone link/remember the discussion?

Also, would this change if you reduced the centres from 600 to 400? Keeping the spec of joists the same? Hopefully this might negate the extra flex that seems inevitable with a less supported junction with the wall.  

I can also see the benefit of using a ledger in terms of ease of use and therefore cost saving. 

You should really pack the sides of the I-Joists with OSB when fitting them into hangers. You could go round after and put wedges behind the joist, or make sure they are tight fitted when they are installed with no slack or slop in the hangers. 

It is about attention to detail and speed of installation. A normal joinery crew will cut to approx size to allow the joist to slot in easily. You want them tight so it may be a case of cut and trim 2 or 3 times to get that. Also worth using Z clips and noggins even with ledger boards to stop the joists twisting in the hangers. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I don't understand the science but awhile ago there was a discussion with regards pozis

As i remember if built in to blockwork the deflection was less compared to on hangers/top chord on top of ledger. It was to do with the end of the joist not being tight up to the ledger and this gives it room to move. I think built in the friction of the blockwork stops this.

Can anyone link/remember the discussion?

A supplier said the deflection was worse when the joists were through the blockwork for me and better with hangers

Flexible mastic might be your friend here to help with air tightness. The timber will shrink a little so any gap filler must be able to flex with it. Are you going to parge the walls?, wet plaster? You need to get parging done on the blockwork between joists before the ceiling goes up . I did mine before the upper floor went down as well,.

Edited by joe90