LED strip lighting for Dummies

Triassic

So I have a cathedral ceiling with two exposed timber perlins, the interior designed (wife) has asked for LED colour change strip lighting hidden up the side of each beam, each strip will be about 3m long.

I've search on-line and there's loads of it and having never used the stuff, I'm a bit flummoxed by it all and wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of a beginners guide and any hints on what to look for? Also the tapes look rather ugly, I assume it can be hidden somehow?

You'll want to hide it in a diffuser - we have this in our room in roof. 

Essentially an alu angle bead with opaque plastic strip that diffuses the led dots on the tape.

Our spark ran twin core to the location and soldered it onto the end of the tape (you can cut it every few inches or so). The transformer is located at the other end of the twin core run, either tucked into roof void (accessed by removing a LED spot) or in a cupboard.

Funnily enough.....

I'm just wiring mine alongside the bath up for a dummy run pre tiling. Think I'm going down with man flu so a bit of colour therapy might help. :)

Got mine so far from here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/mkshopuk/

The thing I would be hesitant about is the quality of the transformer. I will fit a reputable unit.

This gives an idea of the extrusions available:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LED_Tape/index.html

Will post a video later if I can convince small madam for a lend of her Samsung tablet!

+1 on the reputable transformer. 

Ive just fitted my LED strips to the workshop, from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5630-5050-3528-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strips-Strip-Light-Waterproof-/161230174915?var=&hash=item258a113ac3:m:mvFl3DVwHsJb4oXktnWr1-Q

the transformers ive used are these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Stock-DC12V-24V-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-for-LED-Strip-CCTV-/282219610030?var=&hash=item41b5997fae:m:mqeQk_IY2ZAVHOOdhEkoy9w

but ive got a problem which I can only assume is down to the quality of the transformers; they work fine. But switch them on, off and on again too quickly and they trip the RCD. Wait 5 minutes before switching back on and no issue at all. I've been meaning to ask @ProDave for his view on this issue? 

• 2 months later...

Rather than start a new topic, can anyone tell me whether dimmable 5050 strip can be controlled from a normal wall dimmer switch? Appreciate it will need to connect via a transformer but hoping to control from wall switch rather than an IR remote.

The normal DC supplies for these strips aren't dimmable, as they will deliver the same output over a wide input voltage range.  You can get dimmable 12V supplies, though, so with one of those the strip should dim a bit.  You may well find that the mains powered dimmer doesn't dim LEDs very evenly, and tends to only operate over a part of its range, though.   Worth trying out before you fit the lights.

• 4 months later...

Just bumping this thread as I too am looking for LED strips. Mine will be going on the tops of the exposed beams, to light up the vaulted ceiling.

I'm looking for something with fairly low light output, as this is just a touch of mood lighting- the main lighting will be spots on the undersides of the beams.

Is it generally OK to buy cheap Chinese strips, and then a decent quality transformer, and if so how do you know that the transformer is OK?

I bought a cheap strip for along side the bath. I think the controller is a bit cheap and nasty tbh, just not smooth enough. On the setting I like best there's a nasty "jump" between colour changes. Maybe subtle if in a busy room like the lounge but relaxing in the bath it's effing annoying!

VID_20170114_124552171

On 13/01/2017 at 07:46, Barney12 said:

+1 on the reputable transformer. 

Ive just fitted my LED strips to the workshop, from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5630-5050-3528-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strips-Strip-Light-Waterproof-/161230174915?var=&hash=item258a113ac3:m:mvFl3DVwHsJb4oXktnWr1-Q

the transformers ive used are these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Stock-DC12V-24V-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-for-LED-Strip-CCTV-/282219610030?var=&hash=item41b5997fae:m:mqeQk_IY2ZAVHOOdhEkoy9w

but ive got a problem which I can only assume is down to the quality of the transformers; they work fine. But switch them on, off and on again too quickly and they trip the RCD. Wait 5 minutes before switching back on and no issue at all. I've been meaning to ask @ProDave for his view on this issue? 

I bought the same supplies, but yet to fit them. 

Is it deffo the RCD not an RCBO or MCB?

31 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I bought the same supplies, but yet to fit them. 

Is it deffo the RCD not an RCBO or MCB?

Nope it took out the RCD. In the end I got fed up with it, ripped the whole lot out and fitted these:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBBAT5.html

Far better light for a workshop and darn sight simpler to fit.

The tangled nest of LED strips is still piled in the corner of the workshop :/

20 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

What's not to like about those ? :). Just saw your post was jan 13th lol. Pretty much around when I bought my boys LED strips and controllers / psu's :ph34r:

Don't get me wrong, on one single colour no flicker or anything. Same with "fast" colour change. Just the setting I like, to my mind there's a subtle but annoying (at least to me) "jump". Other settings are fine. (If it's not noticeable in the video it must be me! :)

I have extended the wiring and separated the controller and the strip by several feet whereas before it was only a few inches. Thinking it might be to do with that I bought another set and same issue on that one program.

Edit: Easy to change on mine as all in conduit! 

Edited by Onoff

One of the power supplies that I took the cover off to check had some input side suppression that could possibly have created enough earth leakage to cause an RCD to trip at switch on.  Most have a combination of a delta wired three capacitor arrangement, together with a common mode inductor on the L and N.  The two capacitors wired from L to E and N to E could possibly cause enough leakage to trip a sensitive RCD. 

If this is the cause, then it may well be down to these capacitors not discharging at the same rate when the power is turned off, so when it turns back on one still has a fair bit of charge.  This could then be sensed by the RCD as a momentary mismatch between the L and N current, causing it to trip.

This would explain why when you wait  a few minutes before turning it on again it's OK.  This would be enough time for all the capacitors to discharge. 

• Like 1