First time self build - Hello!

RazzleDazzle

Hello, 

Learnt a lot from this site, and based a lot of our design decisions on the opinions of you all, so thank you and I hope to be able to contribute sometime soon. 

Plan to build a SIPs home for our young family in NW Scotland, hitting the ground running next year we hope. Managing contractors and doing a small amount of DIY along the way. 

Please watch this space for more questions!

Thank you and keep up the great work. 

Morning..... Welcome.

Have you thought of starting a blog on BH? I ask because a blog is a good place to collate all your notes, learning, links,  videos. Member comments on that are an excellent source  valuable information, not to mention helpful in saving unecessary expense.

In relation to young families, we have a couple of very young grandchildren - they are being trained in good on site practice - and very useful for sorting recycled screws: helps with their maths :P 

22 hours ago, RazzleDazzle said:

Hello, 

Learnt a lot from this site, and based a lot of our design decisions on the opinions of you all, so thank you and I hope to be able to contribute sometime soon. 

Plan to build a SIPs home for our young family in NW Scotland, hitting the ground running next year we hope. Managing contractors and doing a small amount of DIY along the way. 

Please watch this space for more questions!

Thank you and keep up the great work. 

Hi @RazzleDazzle we took the same approach of managing contractors and undertaking some jobs. Worked well for us.

I am doing much the same. SIPS house with the significant "difficult" work done by contractors and me undertaking a few well contained work packages. That was the plan. In reality I've spent a large part of my time doing rather larger work packages because of availability issues - both people and materials, learning a lot along the way. Currently learning about slates and the pitfalls of using a roofing material that weighs in at approx. 5 tonnes.

31 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I am looking to do this approach, and words of wisdom / pitfalls?

You have to be realistic as to what time you have available? If you are retired or semi retired it would be easy. I had to do it whilst working 6 days a week and fitting in spending time with my two children was tough. But as somebody who won't attempt, joinery, electric, plumbing etc this approach saved me money and I have end up with a fairly modest mortgage in my early thirties. 

Will you supply materials? I did to keep costs low, but you have to become an expert on matters fast. My calculations were pretty good but it took time to work out, research, get prices and then await delivery. I.e. ordered decking recently and had only a few planks left, stressful but again kept the cost to a minimum.

Communication is vital. I would keep them updated on progress before they were due to come on site. When actually doing the work minimum would be a site visit first thing and then to have a look in the evening. 

If you are going for DIY as well then you need to factor in loads of time to do the job. I like doing jobs when they had no other knock on jobs, i.e. painting the external walls. 

Don't underestimate the power of a brush. Keeping a site tidy is almost a weekend job, contractors would often comment. If the site looks like untidy, people will just add to the mess. 

Not having a main contractor will mean you got all the extra costs (loo, fencing, site security), for us living in a remote part of the country kept these costs to a bare minimum. With the contractor approach typically taking longer these costs can mount up over extra weeks, months, years!

Ensure you have right contractors and they have experience to do the work. Especially if it's something a bit bespoke. 

You might still need some form of supervision, we used a RICS surveyor to provide inspection certificates (last one is tomorrow!) it seem to me to be the most cost effective way of ticking the lenders box, 5 inspections £1.5k. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dnb said:

I am doing much the same. SIPS house with the significant "difficult" work done by contractors and me undertaking a few well contained work packages. That was the plan. In reality I've spent a large part of my time doing rather larger work packages because of availability issues - both people and materials, learning a lot along the way. Currently learning about slates and the pitfalls of using a roofing material that weighs in at approx. 5 tonnes.

Been there, I wonder how many the trips I made and we only have 1.75 storey. 

8 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

You have to be realistic as to what time you have available?

Will you supply materials? I did to keep costs low, but you have to become an expert on matters fast. My calculations were pretty good but it took time to work out, research, get prices and then await delivery. I.e. ordered decking recently and had only a few planks left, stressful but again kept the cost to a minimum.

Communication is vital. I would keep them updated on progress before they were due to come on site. When actually doing the work minimum would be a site visit first thing and then to have a look in the evening. 

If you are going for DIY as well then you need to factor in loads of time to do the job. I like doing jobs when they had no other knock on jobs, i.e. painting the external walls. 

Don't underestimate the power of a brush.

You might still need some form of supervision 

Thank you for this, some very good tips. I work 5 days a week and looking to take some leave during the key period of the build.

The site is a garden plot so I can easily check in at the start and end of the day.

I like the idea of the power of the brush!!!

Also the tip about taking on non time/work flow critical jobs.

I will be looking to source bit ticket items and spend the time sourcing deals / good prices.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Thedreamer  Good points, Can't go wrong with a tidy site. Same boat as you @Moonshine , 5 days a week and a toddler, but time at weekend and some flexibility at work (some). Site is 30mins drive away but agree, touching base with contractors regularly sounds V sensible. Even they can't read minds.  

@dnb  Worth it in the end though right!? :)  

On 24/09/2020 at 07:31, ToughButterCup said:

Morning..... Welcome.

Have you thought of starting a blog on BH? I ask because a blog is a good place to collate all your notes, learning, links,  videos. Member comments on that are an excellent source  valuable information, not to mention helpful in saving unecessary expense.

In relation to young families, we have a couple of very young grandchildren - they are being trained in good on site practice - and very useful for sorting recycled screws: helps with their maths :P 

Thank you, will take a look at doing a blog time permitting!  Re the advice above, the kiddie well on the way to mastering a long handled brush and will be put to work as soon as I see the first discarded cable tie!  ?