Joining two radiators together?

Dusty

Hi all

I want to replace my current single panel radiator in my lounge to double convector  as the room does not get warm enough. The current rad is 3000mm and I have purchased a couple of 1400mm rad's to replace it. I though about joining them together but not sure if it will be better to alter the pipework and fit them in-line with separate controls for each?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks

• 2 months later...

Radiators (generally) are plumbed in a parallel circuit in order for them to work correctly. If you join them in a line (serial connection) then one radiator will be hotter than the other, and the flow through both radiators will be limited to wherever the greatest restriction is.

I cant draw where I am answering from at the moment, so will try and do it with words.

Where the current pipes are connected you will need a T piece, on both the feed and return lines. take a connection from each of these to the new radiator. Once the system is then refilled and bled, rebalance the new radiators to the system. You will of course need to adapt the pipe work to the first rad as it is half the length of the old one.

You should have a TRV on both new rads, and balance the system using the valve on the other end.

On 23/09/2020 at 11:31, Ashley said:

I want to replace my current single panel radiator in my lounge to double convector  as the room does not get warm enough. The current rad is 3000mm and I have purchased a couple of 1400mm rad's to replace it.

Howcome you didn't just replace it with one 3000mm double convector?