Vijay

Chisels

Recommended Posts

Doing some cutting on my wall plates today using my chisel set I've had for years. The set is a cheap set but never had the need to invest in another set as I rarely use them. The set I have struggled and I wondered if getting a better set helps retain a sharp edge? Is there a noticeable difference between a cheap no brand set and a known brand set?

 

Cheers

 

Vijay

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy an expensive set it will really pee you off when you drop it and it hits the concrete tip first. 

I would buy mid range £25-35 set and abuse them, then when you are fitting door hinges get a couple of good ones, too early in the build for quality ones you will only wreck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy a whetstone and a few mins gets it back to razor sharp again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Buy a whetstone and a few mins gets it back to razor sharp again.

I loved the smell of those old shops years ago, where you could drop in your chisels and saws, and get them back like new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can still get hand saws and chisels sharpened for you for a price but there is a certain satisfaction in doing it yourself. I've bought a few second hand wood planes off ebay in the past and there are good youtube videos showing how to tune them up. 

 

Not tried this co but google found they do sharpening..

 

https://www.prosharp.co.uk/services.asp?c=s

 

Hand & Tennon saws

Sharpen set & recut as required
from £20.00


Wood chisels - Bevelled edge/Firmer/sash

Up to and including 1" from £4.00

Above 1" from £5.00

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you buy an expensive set it will really pee you off when you drop it and it hits the concrete tip first. 

I would buy mid range £25-35 set and abuse them, then when you are fitting door hinges get a couple of good ones, too early in the build for quality ones you will only wreck. 

 

Dropped and followed by the normal reaction of sticking out a foot to catch it lol

 

I think I'll try what Declan suggested, spend a but of time this weekend getting the edges back. If I have no luck, I'll look at a medium price range set and maybe a sharpening jig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Temp said:

You can still get hand saws and chisels sharpened for you for a price but there is a certain satisfaction in doing it yourself. I've bought a few second hand wood planes off ebay in the past and there are good youtube videos showing how to tune them up. 

 

Not tried this co but google found they do sharpening..

 

https://www.prosharp.co.uk/services.asp?c=s

 

Hand & Tennon saws

Sharpen set & recut as required
from £20.00


Wood chisels - Bevelled edge/Firmer/sash

Up to and including 1" from £4.00

Above 1" from £5.00

 

 

 

 

 

I have the mentality of learning to do something myself rather than pay - especially when I have a house to build and will need to keep them sharp lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vijay said:

 

Dropped and followed by the normal reaction of sticking out a foot to catch it lol

 

I think I'll try what Declan suggested, spend a but of time this weekend getting the edges back. If I have no luck, I'll look at a medium price range set and maybe a sharpening jig

Plenty of YouTube demonstration videos too show you the required technique. Once you figure that out 2 mins each chisel is all you need. Plus you can also use the same stone to put an edge on kitchen knives. For me there is nothing as relaxing as doing this. A real stress buster. Plus nothing like getting an edge so good on a knife you can shave your arm hair.

Something as cheap as this will do for starters. I have a few stones with the finest 4000 grit. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-oil-sharpening-stone/4851v

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Vijay said:

 

I have the mentality of learning to do something myself rather than pay - especially when I have a house to build and will need to keep them sharp lol


A slightly different way but all mine are done like this now. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4000 :O

 

Peter, what does he spray onto the stones?

Edited by Vijay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Water with a bit of washing up liquid !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have you ever used lapping fluid, read quite a few places who suggest using it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an oil stone, with oil and won’t lend my chisels to anyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just buy a new set for a project, use the good ones on good wood, as soon as you hit a nail it becomes downgraded to a semi shit chisel, then when you hit another nail it gets downgraded again as a tool for smashing and bashing. 

no time to be sharpening tools, leave that for when the house is finished and you have a workshop. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

00E6D989-D981-41A8-9A1E-98D3214BBA72.thumb.jpeg.13195c14264bfe63ce688c380287ba5d.jpeg

 

3 chisels of varying degrees of shitness the one on the right is nearly getting to the paint tin stirring implement stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has made me dig out all my assorted chisels. 

 

I'll be putting them on the side of the bench grinder wheel like usual tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I just buy a new set for a project, use the good ones on good wood, as soon as you hit a nail it becomes downgraded to a semi shit chisel, then when you hit another nail it gets downgraded again as a tool for smashing and bashing. 

no time to be sharpening tools, leave that for when the house is finished and you have a workshop. 

 

Couldn't do it mate, I love my tools way too much lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do keep a small box of knackered chisels for “gouging” (or lending if someone asks 🤣)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now