Chisels

Vijay

Doing some cutting on my wall plates today using my chisel set I've had for years. The set is a cheap set but never had the need to invest in another set as I rarely use them. The set I have struggled and I wondered if getting a better set helps retain a sharp edge? Is there a noticeable difference between a cheap no brand set and a known brand set?

Cheers

Vijay

You can still get hand saws and chisels sharpened for you for a price but there is a certain satisfaction in doing it yourself. I've bought a few second hand wood planes off ebay in the past and there are good youtube videos showing how to tune them up. 

Not tried this co but google found they do sharpening..

https://www.prosharp.co.uk/services.asp?c=s

Hand & Tennon saws

Sharpen set & recut as required
from £20.00

Wood chisels - Bevelled edge/Firmer/sash

Up to and including 1" from £4.00

Above 1" from £5.00

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you buy an expensive set it will really pee you off when you drop it and it hits the concrete tip first. 

I would buy mid range £25-35 set and abuse them, then when you are fitting door hinges get a couple of good ones, too early in the build for quality ones you will only wreck. 

Dropped and followed by the normal reaction of sticking out a foot to catch it lol

I think I'll try what Declan suggested, spend a but of time this weekend getting the edges back. If I have no luck, I'll look at a medium price range set and maybe a sharpening jig

1 minute ago, Temp said:

You can still get hand saws and chisels sharpened for you for a price but there is a certain satisfaction in doing it yourself. I've bought a few second hand wood planes off ebay in the past and there are good youtube videos showing how to tune them up. 

Not tried this co but google found they do sharpening..

https://www.prosharp.co.uk/services.asp?c=s

Hand & Tennon saws

Sharpen set & recut as required
from £20.00

Wood chisels - Bevelled edge/Firmer/sash

Up to and including 1" from £4.00

Above 1" from £5.00

I have the mentality of learning to do something myself rather than pay - especially when I have a house to build and will need to keep them sharp lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vijay said:

Dropped and followed by the normal reaction of sticking out a foot to catch it lol

I think I'll try what Declan suggested, spend a but of time this weekend getting the edges back. If I have no luck, I'll look at a medium price range set and maybe a sharpening jig

Plenty of YouTube demonstration videos too show you the required technique. Once you figure that out 2 mins each chisel is all you need. Plus you can also use the same stone to put an edge on kitchen knives. For me there is nothing as relaxing as doing this. A real stress buster. Plus nothing like getting an edge so good on a knife you can shave your arm hair.

Something as cheap as this will do for starters. I have a few stones with the finest 4000 grit. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-oil-sharpening-stone/4851v

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vijay said:

I have the mentality of learning to do something myself rather than pay - especially when I have a house to build and will need to keep them sharp lol

A slightly different way but all mine are done like this now. 

I just buy a new set for a project, use the good ones on good wood, as soon as you hit a nail it becomes downgraded to a semi shit chisel, then when you hit another nail it gets downgraded again as a tool for smashing and bashing. 

no time to be sharpening tools, leave that for when the house is finished and you have a workshop. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I just buy a new set for a project, use the good ones on good wood, as soon as you hit a nail it becomes downgraded to a semi shit chisel, then when you hit another nail it gets downgraded again as a tool for smashing and bashing. 

no time to be sharpening tools, leave that for when the house is finished and you have a workshop. 

Couldn't do it mate, I love my tools way too much lol