With my hand apparently stuck in the ceiling space, I ...

ToughButterCup

In ceiling LED downlighters.... Followed all the advice. Took care to note the places where my downlighters should be.

• Marked the ceiling accordingly
  • Drilled the holes. 70mm.
  • Filled my face, ears and armpits with plaster dust. 
  • Fetch face mask.
  • Spat a lot.
  • Pull the wire through in most holes.
  • Except in two places. 
  • Thought this would happen, got a strategy: a Bosch (natch) inspection camera - you know the sort where, in private, you look to see what's in your ears or your ......
  • Set LED illumination at 100%
  • Pop it in the hole... There the little bugger sits leering at me.wire.JPG.58edcde03f1dc0d17bbfaf9cb3183ea3.JPG
  • Some of you will know I have had both little fingers amputated (mis-spent youth): easy I thought get yer hand in fish it out.  Four fingered self builders  are at an advantage here: wa hay!
  • Got my hand in could NOT reach it and spent  10 full minutes trying to get my hand out. Felt like half an hour . Christ it hurt. Still hurts
  • Got a right cob on now
  • Wire 'fish tool' Nada, nichts, rien, nothing
  • Dropped the fishing wire in ceiling space. Fook.
  • Welding rod, bent to shape  - poked in and - you guessed it - dropped. Fookety Fook.
  • Artery forceps - not long enough

I know that I cannot be the first guy who has had this problem. Short of taking the floor above up....... Help, please!

• Haha 1

Ah, that's what 3 year olds are for......

I know exactly where the damn thing is because the glassfiber cable on the camera is fairly rigid: so I know direction and distance from the hole. Its just that my hand is permanently bent (post-operative contraction of the scar tissue) and I can feel the wire with the back of my fingers (when the hand's in there) and cant straighten my fingers enough to grab it.

Just had a brain-wave: tape a hook shaped welding rod to the inspection camera probe ..... Ha!

Thanks lads.

• Thanks 1

Bingo! Time for Tea and Medals .

20200922_160445.thumb.jpg.77e032f84089c246146b76e41ac56b09.jpg

In each case the wire was too far  from the hole for my curled-over hands to reach, and  so near to the hole that it was easy to overlook using the camera. 

Anyway, panic over. Lesson learned. Keep what's left of  yer hands to yourself

DADE ordered. Thanks @Mr Punter

1 hour ago, wozza said:

I made my own from a plastic container that previously held mini blueberry muffins :)

It worked very well.

Real men make their own blueberry muffins at home.

From their own blueberry bushes.

Pshaw!

I will have blueberry muffins in 2 years.

As they say in Dublin: Omnia bona expectantibus eveniunt. *

F

( * Doesn’t work with sex or absinthe.)

• Haha 1