Fixing Trim to Aluminium Frame

Rob99

I have a gap (see sketch) between my flooring and an aluminium bifold door frame threshold which I am covering in with an aluminium angle trim which I have had powder coated to the same colour as the door frame. The length of the trim/threshold is about 4m.

What is the best adhesive/sealant to use to permanently fix the trim to the door threshold? 

image.png.6adfc6ed3c2f1f6059b91060ed4c1984.png

Edited by Rob99

LMN Silicone will do the job just fine as long as you run a bead across the whole length. Also has some flexibility so won't break away easily when the two aluminium sections expand/contract at different rates.

4 minutes ago, Nick said:

LMN Silicone will do the job just fine as long as you run a bead across the whole length. Also has some flexibility so won't break away easily when the two aluminium sections expand/contract at different rates.

Thanks Nick

How long will it take to cure? It's just that I will need to clamp it as some of the flooring is a little "bouncy"

Stuff we use grabs within a few minutes. I would say 24h to cure to the point where it won't move under a gentle bit of local pressure like floor movement.

If you have access, just throw a few self tapping screws in after the silicone. Try to get them to only pierce the first wall of the door profile so they don't stick out visibly into the threshold.

Other possible adhesive would be a PU adhesive like Tiger seal or Puraflex. Sticks plastic and metal well. Someone here recommended it for sticking plastic trim back on cars and i've used it for that a few times now. Think there are black and white versions. Gets everywhere if not careful.

8 hours ago, Rob99 said:

Which product do you use? There seem to be loads.

Unfortunately there's no access to use any other fixings

Any Low Modulus Neutral-Cure (LMN) silicone will do. We use Silirub 2, it sticketh closer than a brother.