Fibreglass wall ties

gravelrash

I used basalt fibre wall ties with my 300 wide cavities, mega strong very low thermal bridging, best laid as you go, 6 courses bricks, 2 courses blocks, insulation, ties, 2 more block courses, 6 courses of bricks, insulation, ties, 6 more courses of bricks etc 

21 hours ago, tonyshouse said:

Stainless steel conducts less than steel wire and can be thinner but it is a metal and is highly conductive - I stopped using metal ties in the 90’s preferring nylon 

bit ocd but every little helps 

Tony,

When you say nylon ties, are you talking about a manufactured product with test data? Any chance you could post the name as searches so far aren't coming up with much.

Fibreglass is a manufacturer of materials, it should be glass fibre, as opposed to flakes or powders.  Bit like saying Hoover instead of vacuum cleaner, or even thermal mass instead of material thermal properties.

Many different plastics can be reinforced with glass.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Thanks 1

I remember reading somewhere that plastic wall ties were discontinued due to the risk of wall collapse in the event of fire in the cavity. 

I came to the conclusion the overall heat loss of ties was minimal due to the diminutive cross sectional area  ( 64mm2 per m2 ) or 1mm2 per 15000mm2 of wall area for a  >250mm cavity. Also the wider the cavity the less the effect of tie material.

Stainless steel was a fraction of the price of basalt and the heat loss was counteracted by an extra 10mm of cellulose in the attic according to PHPP. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Further research shows basalt rebar is the same or similar  spec and quality as teplo and other basalt wall ties. 6mm diameter can be bought on the coil and can be bought with silica bonded surface giving stronger pull-out resistance for very low cost per meter- but no BBA :( . A friend has said this does not matter if mechanical strength can be shown to be at least equivalent as accepted standards for wall tie. Is this advice correct? The cost to my project would be reduced from about £1800 to £180 so big benefit if a good alternative.

The Building Reg Appr Doc gives details for performance/spec of stainless steel wall ties, listing relevant BSs. I don't think the Standard covers other types of wall tie so BBA or equivalent would be needed to show fitness for use. The performance requirement for rebar is very different to that required for wall ties as they are totally different applications.

• 3 years later...