Water pipe depth - urgent!

My ground workers are moling my water pipe today in my access road. All going well. 

There is one duct for an electricity cable (see photo). They are proposing to go OVER the duct with the water pipe. 

The water pipe will be only 300mm deep at the point. Is that ok? Would it be at risk of freezing?

Should I kick up a fuss and ask them to go UNDER the exposed duct SO its depth is 800mm as it is for the rest of the run?

image.jpg

When you say "my access road" is it yours or just the road to your property etc as there are specific depths to be adhered to when it comes to street works. Whatever, water is always 750mm afaik. Leccy 450mm min. They vary for instance if across agricultural land (say it might get ploughed). This might be of interest:

V1-Positioning-Colour-Coding-Issue-8.pdf

Anglian Water?

This is what they say:

Pipe position All underground pipework (except for pipes laid under a building) should be at a depth of no less than 750mm. Pipes must be at least 2m away from street furniture such as street lamps and utility poles and at least 350mm away from other utilities in the ground. This is to prevent pipework being penetrated by fluids or natural gases and allows for easier access if maintenance is required in the future

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/siteassets/developers/water-services/step-4.pdf

I manually dug my short water trench to 750mm so tell that lazy mole if a self building computer programmer can reach 750 then so can a burrowing rodent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Anglian Water?

This is what they say:

Pipe position All underground pipework (except for pipes laid under a building) should be at a depth of no less than 750mm. Pipes must be at least 2m away from street furniture such as street lamps and utility poles and at least 350mm away from other utilities in the ground. This is to prevent pipework being penetrated by fluids or natural gases and allows for easier access if maintenance is required in the future

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/siteassets/developers/water-services/step-4.pdf

I manually dug my short water trench to 750mm so tell that lazy mole if a self building computer programmer can reach 750 then so can a burrowing rodent.

Builders rubble/tree roots/clay flints...repeat. I am NOT enjoying digging this by hand! ☹

20200914_172148.thumb.jpg.55fc4eacabe6e92bc13ae91fdf067f66.jpg

Thanks all! Very helpful. 

A busy day yesterday. The pipe is now (along with a fibre-option-cable duct) in and I have lots of photos that I can share with Anglian Water.

In the end, we didn't remake the concrete road surface around the duct that I mentioned, with a road plate over for protection. This will enable us to easily revisit it again if Anglian Water requires it.

Interestingly, a few days ago Anglian Water said that they don't come out to inspect the installation of a TBS. (temporary builders supply). I will send them the photos and see what they say.

• Like 1

Its all well and good saying 750mm which we do but have you ever seen the depths that the water boys actually put it in at. Multiple times i've seen them within 400mm of the surface they're lazy when it comes to obstacles and connections

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Its all well and good saying 750mm which we do but have you ever seen the depths that the water boys actually put it in at. Multiple times i've seen them within 400mm of the surface they're lazy when it comes to obstacles and connections

Agree with the above. I punctured a yellow gas pipe, 250mm below surface. Transco came out and fixed it, then sent me a bill. I sent the bill back and said that the pipe should have been deeper. Never heard from them again. So in that house, it is still 250mm below the surface.

• Like 1