moving trees

LSB

I have 2 trees that have sentimental value, they are not very old (3-4 years) as their predecessor got knocked down by accident (incompetent builder) during previous building work.

I plan to move these from my current property to the new one.

I know that we have to dig them up whilst they are dormant, so during the winter.

I don't want to replant them for a couple of years to reduce any risk of the same thing happening.

But, am I better off digging them up now and putting in them in huge pots, they are only about 10' tall, until we are ready to plant or am I better leaving them where they are even though they are growing quite quickly and will be more difficult to dig up.

You can two two things.

Go to a local tree wholesaler and get some huge black tubs with handles 100-125 litre 

take them to the new place and install an irrigation system to keep them watered they will dry out very quickly in a pot. 

Or dig a trench around them at there present location and cut of any roots you find in that trench, back fill the trench with good soil with a bit of compost, every year re dig the trench and prune back new roots, thus keeping the root area under check but in a manageable size. 

I have done this over over a period of 3 years on a large avenue of trees newly planted when the owners architect changed their mind on the driveway location, took 3 years to get new planning in place and once the drive was complete we moved them over to there new home. 

thanks for that, the new build is a barn conversion in a field at home so keeping watered won't be a problem.

as they are in our front garden I will probably go that route rather than digging up outside the house.

thanks for you advice, greatly appreciated

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Go to a local tree wholesaler and get some huge black tubs with handles 100-125 litre 

We did exactly this. We knew we were going to move the trees when we moved house so they’re planted in 125L tubs in the ground and ready to go.

I have no idea however how on earth were going to lift the tubs out of the ground (expect they’ll be bl**dy heavy) or how they’re going to get transported the 1.5hrs to the new house! 

Suggestions welcomed!