Do cranes come in various sizes?

epsilonGreedy

I ask because my roof truss carpenter has now decided the 54kg attic trusses are too heavy to lift up to wall plate height. He recommended a local crane hire outfit but their crane sounds like a monster that requires a 6m x 6m hardcore platform and the outriggers create 35 tons of ground pressure which sounds doubtful to me to swing a 54kg load.  

I googled “what weighs 54kg” and it came up with a cheeta, now I have never met a cheeta or carried one but I bet a bunch of strong blokes could easily lift those!!!! What height do you need to lift them too? My JCB could easily lift them but may not have the reach. On a roof job we had glue lams that weighed more than that and two of us got them into the loft of a house!!!

Edited by joe90

31 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I ask because my roof truss carpenter has now decided the 54kg attic trusses are too heavy to lift up to wall plate height. He recommended a local crane hire outfit but their crane sounds like a monster that requires a 6m x 6m hardcore platform and the outriggers create 35 tons of ground pressure which sounds doubtful to me to swing a 54kg load.  

While it’s part of regs on uk building sites You can handball most trusses Ours where over 12 mtre span 5 of us lifted them onto the wallplate and three of us put them together the following day 

without to much trouble 

A crane with outriggers will require four plates supplied by you 

You can get a flat bed with a crane attached that will work out cheaper 

Paying for an extra pair of hands for a couple of hours may be the better option 

1 hour ago, nod said:

While it’s part of regs on uk building sites You can handball most trusses Ours where over 12 mtre span 5 of us lifted them onto the wallplate and three of us put them together the following day 

without to much trouble 

A crane with outriggers will require four plates supplied by you 

You can get a flat bed with a crane attached that will work out cheaper 

Paying for an extra pair of hands for a couple of hours may be the better option 

HSE

Trusses to remain tethered til fixed 

I don’t think it’s a law 

More of a rule like wearing PPE

Its no enforceable on self builds

Hebce why I didn’t pay the £1000 for a crane 

I can still remember trusses being taken up between two pole ladders and roofs being put on without a Scaf 

Edited by nod

@epsilonGreedy I've handballed them up loads before but when they're attic trusses and top heavy sometimes its more aggro than its worth. If you paying your guy/s on a day rate then sometimes its penny wise pound foolish.

Do you have a photo or plan of the top floor layout? Do you have anywhere you could shoot a young man over the plates with a middle wall or tower scaff? 

C5C66F0B-3E11-4592-BE7D-712F6B24AAC5.thumb.jpeg.6204579490d51ef31459da7ab72518de.jpegour kit erector wanted us to hire a mate of his with a hiab to come put the trusses up-£150 per hour and 4hours travelling time, we refused as our local plant hire guy had said he would do it, they were adamant he wouldn’t manage it but had to eat their words, he was getting them up quicker than they could fix them!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

@epsilonGreedy I've handballed them up loads before but when they're attic trusses and top heavy sometimes its more aggro than its worth. If you paying your guy/s on a day rate then sometimes its penny wise pound foolish.

The carpenter persuaded me with this logic yesterday and I agreed to the crane hire. His estimate of £250 for a half day hire from an outfit based 30 minutes away was actually £350 plus VAT, then as the crane hire company discussed site access from a country lane and the requirement for a solid base formed from 6m x 6m of hardcore I concluded I was being offered a monster crane capable of swinging a 1 ton load right over my house. I need something smaller that can lift a 0.056 ton truss just over the 3rd lift scaffolding.

25 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Do you have a photo or plan of the top floor layout? Do you have anywhere you could shoot a young man over the plates with a middle wall or tower scaff? 

There are no internal walls at the moment. In the diagram below the smallest rectangle is the single story utility wing and the heavy attic trusses are just 8 in total labelled A1 supporting the main 5m ridge. Most of the other full span trusses weigh between 23kg and 35kg.

WIN_20200918_16_59_49_Pro (2).jpg

1 hour ago, nod said:

HSE

Trusses to remain tethered til fixed 

There was a lad killed by a stack of falling glass panels. Apparently he undid the brick banding and the whole lot toppled. Now the first one is banded to the transport frame. Second pane gets stacked against it and banding goes around the two. Next panel, banding round three and so on. Ensures only one panel can fall on you at a time. 

41 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Is it a single storey or two storey house??

Two storey a bit more difficult and you would need at least another pair of hands plus scaffold.

A two story house and the ground is low at the best position for a manual lift hence a 6.2m lift to clear the top guard rail of the scaffolding. 

Edited by epsilonGreedy

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Tele handler and a friendly farmer £150 should see them all up there. 

Thanks I will investigate this option. A farmer was happy to visit and lift 1.3 ton brick packs upto 2nd lift, just not sure how much further the telehandler jib can go.

41 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Those 2 doubles either side of the hip wont be light either, they will already be fixed together

My truss carpenter was surprised they were delivered as separates and are 32kg each.

46 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Also when are they being delivered? a good drink in the drivers pocket could get the heavier ones up on the scaff

They were delivered last week on a flatbed with no crane and the first thing the driver said was "I had a double heart by-pass in February, didn't the head office tell you to have a second bloke to unload?". We lifted the load off manually in an hour.

Telehandler will do that easily. A 10m will be fine as it will get over the scaffold. A 7m will struggle. 

If he really insists on a crane then an iron fairy will do that without a problem - that’s a truck mount crane with a 10m boom.