Appliance Shortage

Pm1987

Just now, SteamyTea said:

I thought, for domestic buyers, the 1 year warranty, was a thing of the past. Goods now have to last a reasonable time.

Or is that something we have lost since we hated the EU's meddling in our domestic affairs.

You are mixing up manufacturer's  warranties with consumer rights against the retailer. The former is nearly always easier/safer to depend on as the remedy it provides is so clear cut (if it breaks in time window X they fix/replace it) whereas the latter might rely on you ultimately having to make a case in court about what in order to get your rights upheld in the context of what is 'reasonable'. 

16 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

You are mixing up manufacturer's  warranties with consumer rights against the retailer

Yes maybe.

But I got a new washing machine, and 100 quid from Tesco, because after 14 months the unit packed up.

Was all pretty painless.

With any warranty, there will be conditions i.e. installed by a qualified person.

So I would rather take my chances, if the consumer protection is still in place, with a retailer, rather than a manufacturer.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

So I would rather take my chances, if the consumer protection is still in place, with a retailer, rather than a manufacturer.

Yeah, they've both got their pros and cons, and quite often simple good customer service is sufficient such that it never gets as far a having to dig legislation and/or warranty Ts&Cs* out. My point really was these two legal backstops are not the same and we should be careful not to mix them up (retailers will often do that intentionally, pushing you towards the manufacturer rather than dealing with the issue themselves).

Regarding the issue of consumer protection still being in place, that boils down to the statute of limitation being six years (five years in Scotland) and so that's the time window of protection you've got - but that's not to say everything should necessarily be expected to last that long. 

*Which as you say can be really restrictive. For example, we've got a Hotpoint fridge/freezer which has a 10 year guarantee! Yay! However, it's actually only 1 year for parts and labour, the remaining 9 years are parts only and there's a fixed-rate labour charge of £110 per callout....

Edited by MJNewton

9 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I thought, for domestic buyers, the 1 year warranty, was a thing of the past. Goods now have to last a reasonable time.

Or is that something we have lost since we hated the EU's meddling in our domestic affairs.

We will all be better off with shoddy goods and services.

I believe a warranty is the manufacturer/vendor's express contractual promise to be liable in case of a fault. As long as you haven't voided the warranty (by say using something intended for domestic use in a professional catering environment, such as a cafe kitchen - but you would never do that would you @SteamyTea)  then there is no argument and they just honour the warranty.

What you are referring to is the consumer's statutory rights. These are protections legislated for in the statute books, irrespective of what the contract says. What is reasonable will depend on the circumstances but there is guidance from case law (and I think also in the relevant statute itself). For example, a reasonable time for a 30 pence shoelace for a pair of boots worn in muddy cold conditions everyday might be 4 months. But if the shoelace cost 3 quid and was used only for indoor sports once a week, reasonable might be a few years.

7 hours ago, Adsibob said:

For example, a reasonable time for a 30 pence shoelace for a pair of boots worn in muddy cold conditions everyday might be 4 months.

My walking boot's laces outlasted my Vibram soles.  I have found StormGrip the best down here on the granite.

7 hours ago, Adsibob said:

shoelace cost 3 quid and was used only for indoor sports once a week, reasonable might be a few years.

You live a different life to us farmboys.

The appliance delay fiasco continues. This started with the pandemic and BSH group shamelessly blamed it on huge consumer demand when this clearly wasn't the case. BSH group has a terrible track record of supply chain management over the past 5-6 years and they were perhaps 'managing' the situation. As the news has  got out the narrative from them has changed to reflect  the truth.

As it happens there are only a handful of manufacturer unaffected by this so order with a 3-4 month lead time in mind.

With respect  to delivery - Most retailers will stipulate a window to report damages  and this is only reasonable. If you were to take delivery and store it for months, then understandably the retailer would be within their rights to turn down any reports  of damaged goods outside their stipulated window.

With respect to warranty - Your warranty starts when you install and register your warranty. In case a warranty has not been registered, your proof of purchase (invoice) is treated as the warranty date so it becomes vital that you register your warranties in a timely manner. If an appliance is faulty (not damaged) at installation, the manufacturer usually reserves the right to inspect and offer a replacement or repair at their sole discretion. If you have had an appliance sitting in storage awaiting installation and proves to be faulty at installation this isnt necessarily a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the major ones are affected. There are very few that make everything in Europe/in-house and these are in a much better position.

I know Novy is virtually unaffected. VZUG has some extended lead times but they make almost everything in Switzerland. Some of the entry level stuff from Turkey and italy is not that badly affected. 

We ordered Quooker tap and Elica hob from Donaghy's this morning, arriving tomorrow. The rest of our ovens, washing machine, dishwasher and fridge freezer are all in stock at Curry's and we're going in to the store this week to order for delivery next week. Mix of Bosch, AEG and Beko. There's plenty out there, as long as you aren't fussy!!!!

4 minutes ago, Conor said:

There's plenty out there, as long as you aren't fussy!!!!

Indeed, that is the antithesis of free trade. It's like:

• going to Tesco and discovering that you can't buy champagne this week because of some shortage in supply from France but being told it's fine you can drink Spanish Cava or English bubbly; or
  • being told city bikes are currently available, but we have plenty of mountain bikes. 

Substitutes do the same thing, but not in the same way.

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Just thought I’d refresh this, as I’m still struggling to find some items, mainly a Bosch or Siemens undercounter wine fridge.

Nothing worse I imagine than the Chablis being under chilled! 

4 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Just thought I’d refresh this, as I’m still struggling to find some items, mainly a Bosch or Siemens undercounter wine fridge.

Appliance City have them in stock 

Our washing machine broke a few weeks back, motor armature burned out and I was not paying half the cost of a new machine for a new motor.

Had a hell of a job finding one, so many places out of stock.  I even got Howdens to price match Curry's only to then find out they could not supply one for 2 weeks.  We ended up with an inferior, but cheaper machine from Argos as they were the only ones that could supply one in days rather than weeks.

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

My public school was more exclusive, more BBC people than the print.

Sons of African dictators d'you mean?

Edited by Onoff

I think more people would be sympathetic if there was an alcohol shortage....😄

Anyway we are awaiting a kitchen sink and tap which has been on order for 3 months - the tap is the problem.  Nothing fancy just a std modern tap.