Permitted development question

Hi,

We have detached chalet bungalow and about to start work on a single story back extension.

In the plans signed off by the council the architect has stated its width is approx 2meters and I would like to go 2.6 now.

There are no neighbours with 10meters either side of the work.

I sent an email to the council and received a generic email about ammendment submissions.

But doesn't this come under permitted development?

We applied for full planning permission as we were doing work on the front and roof of the house,  but those are not happening yet as we focus on the rear extension instead.

Below is the plan f, with the 2000mm back extension (Room 1 was extended 4 meters by the previous owners). Is that an issue going any further back that requires full permission?

Thanks

plan3.png

Edited by Gina_Violet

I think your 2.6 x 7.4m would need full planning permission because the 7.4m part is more than half the width of the original house.

Edit: Actually I think we need to know the exact outline of the original house before ANY extensions were made and if any were added after getting planning permission or were they all done under permitted development.

Edited by Temp

Hi,

Thanks @Temp   and @DevilDamo The black line I have added is is the original back of the house, no idea if room 1  was done under permitted development as it was so long ago I can't find a trace of it on the planning site.  The rest of the right side is a garage conversion (as in room 2 and the bathroom part) done long ago,

housefull.png

Unfortunatly the only way to get something concrete is to submit a full planning app or apply for a certificate of lawful development... you can however, get an 'informal' opinion usually by doing a "Do I need planning permission?" submission to your local council.

Just google your council name and DINPP or something similar - you still need to submit a plan, but it can be a sketch rather than a full set of scaled drawings.

3 hours ago, MrMagic said:

Unfortunatly the only way to get something concrete is to submit a full planning app or apply for a certificate of lawful development... you can however, get an 'informal' opinion usually by doing a "Do I need planning permission?" submission to your local council.

Just google your council name and DINPP or something similar - you still need to submit a plan, but it can be a sketch rather than a full set of scaled drawings.

Thank you. My partner spoke to a local architect who says unless we go though the council's permitted development process we have an illegal building. 

He said he felt it was ok to continue with the work but he could revise the plans and submit them.

@MrMagic you mentioned a simple sketch, so so I need to pay 100's of pounds for a professional CAD drawing or can I just revise the above floorplan myself in something like photoshop?

Thank you

One other thing to check..

When previous extensions were built the planners may have removed permitted development rights by adding a condition. Should be possible to check that with the planning department.

Thank you. I had one other question, as we have been given full planning permission , should we just do a Non-Material Amendment instead of the lawful certificate?

I was reluctant as it seems so ambiguous, it states changes that do not materially alter the size and scale of the building, when I explored further the definition of this is down to the LA.

In my opinion, you should be able to deal with the additional 600mm via a NMA application. But as you say, each LPA has different views on what is and is not considered Non-material, which isn’t helpful.

Your other options are a Variation of Condition or a revised Householder application. The latter may be free of charge providing you haven’t used up a free go on the site in the past. A NMA will take up to 4 weeks while the VoC and revised HH applications will take up to 8 weeks.