Help me pick a builder

So, having finally managed to get some quotes from builders for my loft conversion I've got to decide between them.

1st builder is highly rated but seems quite skeptical of some of the design choices (too much insulation, doesn't like warm roofs, amongst other things) he's quite old school and seemingly set in his ways. I can see me butting heads with him about some details but getting a good result by the end.

2nd builder not as good a reputation (some good to middling feedback from past customers) he seems keen and wants to learn. But the feedback has me thinking that to get the end result we want will require a bit more monitoring/ guidance. He seems like somebody I can work with.

Price wise there is very little between them so I guess the question is should I go with old, set in his ways but knowledgeable or keen but needs more monitoring and input from me?

Hmm... if it was Dragon's Den, I'd want to split the equity and have them both on board.  As it's not, I think I'd go for the guy with an eye on the future that's keen to learn.  That's not to say I don't appreciate time-served craftsmanship, but unless you're doing a conservation job, things have moved on...

Personally if Having to choose between the two I’d go for the keener one who will learn and follow instruction better. Having said that I’d agree with @Gav_P and look for a third option I think. You may still go with one of the first two but never hurts to have more options!

good luck!

Cheers for the advice guys.

R_sole I know what you mean, he's ok with the warm roof in the living area but doesn't see the point in doing the warm roof for the eaves. 

Gav_p I wish I had that option, this the short list from approaching about 15. 

ZacP I'm leaning your way as I think a positive working relationship is potentially more important even if it means extra oversight. 

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for helping me get my thinking in order guys

10 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

A builder saying too much insulation and doesn't like warm roofs is a bit worrying if you want a well insulated loft conversion with a warm roof...

Plus one here 

It’s never about what the builder or trade like They should follow The drawing and spec 

Go for the most detailed quote 

I'd +1 on "follow the instruction". Also communication is key - avoid a builder who nods in response to your detailed instruction and then does it his own way which is not quite what you want but then it costs money / time to re-do, you don't want to argue, etc etc. The result will be an unhappy one. 

Probably another couple of quotes won't hurt.

Cheers guys, going to look a bit further afield to get a few more quotes.

Problem is the builders I'll be approaching will be over an hour's travelling time away, any advice on how to get them to consider even looking at the job when most seem reluctant to travel?

Edited by Linto